anyone can tell me

illykatrina
on 9/20/12 2:26 pm - Haverhill, MA
 hey i  was just wondering what the whole info session is like in nervous about this  im going to lowell gen and  what should you bring with you a notebook im cluless and scared 

Annie_Anaba
on 9/20/12 2:50 pm
RNY on 08/27/12
Is that a nutritional meeting or are you seeing your surgeon/their staff? When I went to my first appt with the staff I was given paperwork about RNY. When I went to all my nutritional meetings I took a notebook with me because I write everything I hear down. My team was ready with all the important things we needed like diets before and after, it told us about the drain they will put in. All the risks, like they may have to do an Open Lap instead of the 3-4 cuts. I know its scary at first and a little overwhelming too. It's a lot of info to digest all at once and some things I had to google, lol. At the top of this site is a search bar so if you have concerns or questions about a specific topic just enter it there and there will pop up a whole bunch of other peoples questions and the answer they received. Good luck.

GraceGirl
on 9/20/12 2:52 pm
Info session? do you mean like the seminar? if so mine was in an auditorium, they showed a video the local news did on my groups sucess stories, the 2 surgeons spoke... They showed the 3 surgeries they preform in video form.... they had a quick Q&A session... ( no personal questions just general questions)
We were given an info packet to take home included all kinds of information to read. our packet had paper and a pen in it...
Yours may be different.... We that the option after to make our consult appointmet if we wanted to.

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

wmamey
on 9/20/12 4:38 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
You should probably take a notebook with you to any appt you go on. It is good that you are here but you really want to become as educated as you can on the subject BEFORE doing it. Look to the write of this page and there is information you can click on and read there too.

MultiMom
on 9/20/12 5:28 pm - NH
The informational session at the Bariartric Center with Lowell General is just that.....informational. When I went I didn't bring anything to write on and didn't need it. One of the nurses gave much of the talk and then one of the Doctors did the rest. They explained about the Lap Band procedure and the RNY. After they presented everything (and I think there was a Q and A period) then they had people that wanted to start the process go down the hall to their office to make an appointment. When I went there were lots of people and I was one of the last out of the room so my appointment was further out than those that got in line ahead of me........SO, if you want to get a quicker appointment, sit in the front near the door!!!

There is no need to be nervous or scared, they are wonderful people and you have a way to go before you have surgery . They will tell you what the whole process involves. I think that I went to the informational session in June, had my first appointment in August and was lucky enough to get my surgery in October. Others that started when I did were weeks behind me in finishing all the requirements. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.......

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Bren0430
on 9/20/12 6:45 pm - Canyon, TX
RNY on 05/11/12
 Maybe you can set up the appt before & cancel if you change your mind. Just a thought.

MultiMom
on 9/20/12 7:54 pm, edited 9/20/12 7:54 pm - NH
 You can't set up an appointment before the informational session, but you can cancel it if you do change your mind. The first appointment after the informational session is with the nurse who gives you even more information about the surgery that you have decided on and makes even more appointments with the nutritionist, for the psychologist and where and how to weigh in each week. (you have to lose a certain amount of weight before you are scheduled for surgery too. I think that is to show that you can follow an eating plan and also to help your body be more ready for surgery)

You also have to attend at least 3 pre-op group meeting. You will get a schedule of those as well. All of this was what I had to do 4 years ago, some things may have changed. I know now they give patients a big notebook that has all of the pre-op and post-op eating plans in it along with lots of other stuff!!

In any case, it is a lengthy process that you need to go through including THEM being comfortable that YOU are ready mentally and physically to have surgery. It is a very long process and getting the initial information is just the start. Try not to be nervous, learning about what is to come if you decide to do it is just the beginning. Nobody is going to make you do anything that you don't want to do 

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

MultiMom
on 9/24/12 5:48 am - NH
How did the informational session go??

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 368 views