RNY -- veterans or newbies -- Why did you choose it over the others?

katmom_02
on 9/21/12 7:26 am - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 02/20/13
I am scheduled for my EGD on October 12, and based the findings, my surgeon will tell me if I can have the surgery I really want, the VSG. As veterans, can you give me reason why you would choose the RNY over the VSG. I do not have diabetes. I know that RNY can be an awesome surgery, but I keep going over all the pros and cons in my head and I am looking for more reasons to put on the 'pro' list for RNY vs. VSG. Can I get some help?

Carmen C.
on 9/21/12 7:31 am
RNY on 08/08/12
Had a VSG- and Failed didn't loose weight and too much complications
RNY- LOVING IT 

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

Annie_Anaba
on 9/21/12 7:41 am
RNY on 08/27/12
I chose RNY to help my diabetes, it is the only one of the 3 types of WLS that my insurance approved doctor does that helps diabetes. It's good that you are informing yourself and asking questions. There are a lot of people on here who can give you info on the different types of surgery. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Elizabeth G.
on 9/21/12 7:54 am - RI
RNY on 10/18/12
I'm pre-op. I never looked at theVSG. Some upsides are that you maintain the pyloric valve and the portion of the stomach is removed which helps with the hunger hormone ghrelin. Other than that, I didn't see any impressive stats. I was only looking at RNY or DS. The sleeve is part of the DS but on it's own, the sleeve did not impress me. If I am friggin' with my guts, I want restrictive and malabsorption combined. I'm in it all the way! In it to win it! Yahooo.

Good luck to you. Tough choice, I'm sure.
Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/21/12 7:59 am
Out of available surgeries, RNY had the consequences I could most easily adapt to and live with.

I didn't want the fill cycle of the band, I didn't think the sleeve would work for me, and the DS was a no go due to possible bathroom issues.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/12 10:40 am
Same here, except the DS seemed too extreme to me. Non compliance is alot more deadly to a DSer than an RNYer (at least, more quickly anyway) and while I wasn't planning non-compliance, I didn't have any way to know how things would go. It just seemed too risky.
Mal
on 9/21/12 8:02 am
I chose RNY 2 1/2 years ago and I am thrilled that I did.  It took me 2 years to lose 180 lbs.  I went from a very tight size 26 and a 3 xl top to a size 4 and medium top.  I do have excess skin on my thighs and bottom but it isn't as bad as it once was.  Now that I've gained a bit of muscle, the skin isn't as noticeable.  Sure I'd love to have PS but if my insurance doesn't cover it (it doesn't) then it is not in my future.   In clothes I look great, naked...well that's another story!! LOL  The extra skin will happen no matter what surgery you have though and there really isn't a lot you can do to prevent it.  I'm just thankful mine can be hidden in clothes and didn't happen on my upper body at all.  

The RNY long term for me has been great because I have (for the most part) followed all the rules (I used to drink soda but have since given that up) and I still have really, really great restriction.  I think whatever surgery you choose you  need to make sure that all the 'rules' fit into your everyday life.  I can eat anything now, just not very much of it.  I used to feel sad that I couldn't eat like everyone else, especially when I was at a restaurant and eating a fantastic meal and I wanted more, but I just take it with me and enjoy it the next day.  

I have maintained my loss very well.  I weigh every day and make sure that I keep my weight below a certain amount within 5 lbs.  If I go up beyond that amount I know I need to make adjustments to my diet, and usually within a week I will be back within my range.  This is what works for me. 

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!!!

Mallisa

Ksan32
on 9/22/12 1:52 am - AZ
 Do you eat all normal stuff just smaller portions?

I am currently at 130 lbs 10 pounds below goal weight!

CindyKae64
on 9/21/12 8:18 am
RNY on 05/22/12
One of my deciding factors was that my insurance would only cover either the lap band or the RNY. After researching and discussing with my PCP and Surgeon I decided the lap band was not for me and that I would rather go with the RNY. I had my surgery 5/22 and I have not really had any major complications, so far I seem to be adapting to my new lifestyle and I am very grateful that I was able to have the surgery which has helped to set me onto the path of a healthier and hopefully longer life.

It will hurt. It will take time. It will require dedication. It will require willpower. It requires sacrifice. There will be temptation. But, I promise you, when you reach your goal, it's WORTH IT! (Author Unknown). I feel this sums up my ongoing journey to a healthier me!

Jocelyn F.
on 9/21/12 8:27 am - VA
RNY on 07/28/14
I have severe acid reflux that's been damaging my throat, and this is the reason I'm having bariatric surgery (I'm in a pre-op program now). I've chosen RNY because of the different surgeries the stats are really good in terms of RNY helping and often totally eliminating acid reflux. The others can often make it worse. It was an easy choice for me because of this.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 344 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?