Bariatric Fusion

Kimberly E.
on 9/22/12 9:25 pm - VA
RNY on 09/05/12
Does anyone take Bariatric Fusion Complete Chewables?  My surgeon recommended them to me and he told me that I do not need anything in addition to these unless my labs show anything later.  I like them because I only have to take 4 pills a days instead of many.  If you take them, how have your labs been?

Allen Y.
on 9/22/12 9:42 pm - Garland, TX
 Never heard of this but it sure sounds less expensive than Bariatric Advantage stuff

Kimberly E.
on 9/22/12 9:45 pm - VA
RNY on 09/05/12
I bought mine through bariatric choice website and it was $24.99 for a one month supply.  Definitely less expensive than having to purchase multiple supplements.  I just hope they work well for me.

moviechick00
on 9/22/12 9:53 pm
Revision on 05/17/12
My surgeon recommended them also.  I have been taking those from day one.  I also take b-12 and biotin.  I feel good for the most part would feel better if I slept. 

hw 255 Realize band 2/10 lw 206 (slipped/moved caused lots of pain)
weight pre-op 225 revision RNY 5/17/12
Kimberly E.
on 9/22/12 10:29 pm - VA
RNY on 09/05/12

Thank you for responding.  How have your labs been?

moviechick00
on 9/23/12 12:14 am
Revision on 05/17/12
 I think we will be doing labs my next visit I missed my September visit.  I will ask about them to make sure.

hw 255 Realize band 2/10 lw 206 (slipped/moved caused lots of pain)
weight pre-op 225 revision RNY 5/17/12
Kat Kat
on 9/22/12 4:43 pm, edited 9/22/12 4:44 pm - AZ

I'm not a Vitamin guru, however I wouldn't depend on these. The label says it has both Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Citrate. Since we only absorb Calcium Citrate I'd be hesitant to take these because I wouldn't know how much Citrate these contain. Also, even if it were 100% citrate, there is only 300 mg per dose, so you'd need 5 a day, not 4 to meet the 1500 mg daily requirement. These also do not contain any B-12 which even if they did, wouldn't work because you need 350 - 500 mcg per day taken sublingually. You could opt for nasal spray or a patch once a week or take the shots once a month, but you still need to take it. Another concern would be that a multi must have 100% of the RDA of most nutrients taken 2 times a day and these don't seem to completely fulfill that requirement taken 4 times a day either. Finally, iron and calcium must be taken 2 hours apart to absorb properly. You might want to talk the ASMBS guidelines over with him and come up with a better plan.

Kat

poet_kelly
on 9/23/12 12:34 am - OH
On September 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM Pacific Time, Kimberly E. wrote:
Does anyone take Bariatric Fusion Complete Chewables?  My surgeon recommended them to me and he told me that I do not need anything in addition to these unless my labs show anything later.  I like them because I only have to take 4 pills a days instead of many.  If you take them, how have your labs been?
I'm sorry to hear your surgeon is recommending you take only four of these and nothing else.

The American Society for  Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says we need 200% of the RDA of most things, so you'd need EIGHT Bariatric Fusion to get that.

The ASMBS also says we need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate a day.  Four Bariatric Fusion only has 1200 mg calcium and some of that is calcium carbonate, which we can't absorb.

Even though the Fusion has B12, we can't absorb it because we lack intrinsic factor in our pouch.  We need sublingual B12, or the nasal spray or shots.

Four of these and nothing else is a very poor choice.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

yogybooboo
on 9/23/12 4:21 am - IL
I have been taking them since my surgery last december, and my lab results show no deficiency in anything other than iron.  I take the Ferret's Iron supplement and I am fine.  I really like taking them and then I don't have to worry about buying multiple vitamins, etc..  I just ordered a 1 year supply.
brzmom
on 9/23/12 5:40 am - MO
RNY on 08/08/12
My dr. also recommened them and that's what I have been taking.  I don't have my first labs drawn until 10-8 but I don't anticipate any problems.  The mixed berry tastes great!
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics