Getting Confused on the vitamins and mineral supliments????

marty69
on 9/23/12 11:53 am - MO
RNY on 06/06/12
OK I am going to get my folder back out from Dr an look at what they recommend. BUT,,,I want to know what all of you take ,have been told to take ,or have found works best for you. Also I don't think my blood work is in depth enough. Can I please have a run down (list) of that also.
And yes I am going to be going thru old posts and locking for the same info. Thanks in advance, I live out in the sticks and this is my "life line " in more ways than 1. :)

P.S. I am eating mostly vegan w/unflavored protein powder as of now. Eating meat and SEVERAL other things are still to touchy. So I know that will affect what I need to take.

May We All be Blessed and Valued 

marty

missmomof4
on 9/23/12 12:28 pm
RNY on 09/10/12
 I have seen so many different responses in regards to vitamins, but here is what i was told.
multi - once a day, calcium citrate twice a day, b12 sublingual three times a week or shot once a month, b1 three times a week, beta carotene two times a week, iron with vitamin c once a day. and for me personally, vitamin a. 
a lot i know, but i was on this regimane before so the only difference for me has been awitching over to chewables.

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/12 6:31 am, edited 9/23/12 6:33 am
You need 200% of the RDA for MOST things. So TWO Centrum tablets a day. Or the chewables equivalent of 200% RDA. If serving size says 2 tablets and that's 100%, you need FOUR tablets, for example.

Then you need B12, calcium citrate, vitamin d and iron outside the multi. You may need to add more things later, if lab tests show you do. I didn't need to start supplementing Vitamins A or ****il this year and I'm 5 years out. Alot of us find that we need A, D, E and K later rather than sooner. Let your labs be your guide.

Calcium Citrate, you need 1500-2000mg a day and you may need to get a Cal-Mag Citrate complex if it causes constipation.

So, for B12, you want to start with 5,000mcg of cyanobalamin a day. Or you can do about 2,000mcg of the methylcobalamin a day. Reason is, methylcobalamin is the active form of B12 and your body has to convert cyanobalamin to that and so a bunch gets lost in conversion. Tweak as needed, staying at 1,000-2000 on labs.

As for iron, you should start with about 65mg of carbonyl iron (Vitalady's Tender Iron, Sundown's Perfect Iron or Feosol's carbonyl -- check the label on that one, Feosol has other types of iron in very similar packaging) and tweak from there, staying above 80 for serum iron and 100 for Ferritin on your labs.

As for vitamin D, you want lab levels of 80-100. For many of us that means 50,000IU of DRY Vitamin D 3x a week. Once a week could suffice. Again, let your labs be your guide.
milelee
on 9/23/12 7:02 pm
Why dry vit D?  and what exactly does that mean?

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/12 7:50 am
Because most of what you find on the shelf and even in prescription form is suspended in oil and we malabsorb oil so we'll only get very little of that vitamin. Dry means that it's in a powdered form -- better for us for absorption.
wendydettmer
on 9/23/12 1:41 pm - Rochester, NY
eating vegan shouldn't impact what you need to take - it's how i eat 99% of the time.

I take 2 multi a day, 1500 calicum citrate (500, 3 times a day), b12 sublingual (2500mcg, but let your labs determine how much you need), vd3, 50000 2 times a week. 120mgs iron a day.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

poet_kelly
on 9/23/12 2:13 pm - OH
On September 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM Pacific Time, marty69 wrote:
OK I am going to get my folder back out from Dr an look at what they recommend. BUT,,,I want to know what all of you take ,have been told to take ,or have found works best for you. Also I don't think my blood work is in depth enough. Can I please have a run down (list) of that also.
And yes I am going to be going thru old posts and locking for the same info. Thanks in advance, I live out in the sticks and this is my "life line " in more ways than 1. :)

P.S. I am eating mostly vegan w/unflavored protein powder as of now. Eating meat and SEVERAL other things are still to touchy. So I know that will affect what I need to take.
I take what the ASMBS recommends, which is two multis a day, 1500 mg calcium citrate, iron (I take 75 mg) and B12 (i take weekly shots).  In addition, I take vitamin C to help with iron absorption and I take D3, A and zinc, because my labs have shown I need those.

Eating a vegan diet should have little effect on the vitamins and minerals you need.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sknd34
on 9/23/12 6:20 pm - West Fargo, ND
I currently take the follow vitamins/minerals:
Multivitamin twice daily
B complex one daily
vitamin D 4000 twice daily
folic acid 800 three times per day (on a med that makes it difficult to absorb)
magnesium citrate 225 mg twice daily
vitamin C 500 daily
Vitamin B12 2500 sublingual every other day
calcium 600mg two to three times per day

I had my 6 month labs done about a month ago and had to increase my folic acid and vitamin D.  Good luck with your vitamins. It is very individualized per person based on lab values and physician preference. I am on a couple of vitamins that the surgeon doesn't required, but that I take because I feel they are important. They do want me to be taking iron, but due to the extreme constipation I decided to stop that. I tried three different types. The surgeon is aware that I stopped it also and surprisingly my iron stores increase this last lab check, but it is still low.
Original weight 285. Lowest weight 210. Revision weight 249. Size 24W
Current weight 210 as of February 23, 2012!!!
Current size 16-18 as of February 25, 2012!!!
chowell
on 9/23/12 8:08 pm - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12
my dr gave me a list of multi-200% that  2 tablets a day of centrum,  B-12 350mcg daily, or 1000mcg shots a month, iron 100rda 325mg daily, calcium 1500-2000mg daily divided into 3 doses, Bcomplex B50 or B100. I was able to purchases every one of these at walmart.

Cecily Howell                

kisersassy
on 9/23/12 9:22 pm - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 249 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?