Hematologist

azreggie
on 9/25/12 9:07 am - Tucson, AZ
Ok, so I have an appointment with a Hematologist on Tuesday.  My PCP ran some more labs to take with me and also an occult blood test, which I haven't got back yet. My most resent labs are:

HCT                                    34.5   L     (37-47)
RETIC%                               1.1          (0.5-1.6)
Retic                                 0.05  L        (25-85)
Immu RETIC FRAC         0.45 H      (0.19-0.43)
RETIC  CT CORR            0.8            (0.5-1.6)
RPI                                     0.5             (0.5-1.6)
ICTERIC INDEX               0                (0-15)
LIPEMIA INDEX              12                (0-50)
IRON                                41                (40-165)
UIBC                                427
TIBC                                468 H           (184-355)
IRON SATURAT                9 L             (20-55)
B1                                    124                (87-280)

I know it's bad so please, what do you think. I don't know what the rest of these numbers mean except what I could find on the web.

*Newbies, take heed, do NOT forget your vitamins and labs, this is for real.
(deactivated member)
on 9/25/12 9:21 am, edited 9/25/12 9:21 am
HCT, Iron, UIBC, TIBC and Iron Sat is all, well, iron related. And the numbers are low. (well, TIBC and UIBC are always elevated in iron deficiency... it's them saying "FEED ME IRON!!!" ) Don't believe the lab range... 41 isn't good, you want over 80.

Lipemia is the amount of fat in the blood and your level is fine. Icteric index is liver function which is fine.

Retic, Immu Retic, Retic CT, RPI is all about the reticulocyte counts. Things are low normal, which I'd expect. It has to do with how your bone marrow is responding to the need for more red blood cells.

B1 is decent.

Glad you have an appointment with a hematologist! I don't see Ferritin, but I bet your iron stores are basically gone. A few more weeks of this, and you'd be really feeling it.
azreggie
on 9/25/12 9:27 am - Tucson, AZ
Yea, thanks for responding.  I couldn't find the ferritin either, maybe I'll get those later.  I'm out of town for a business trip tomorrow and back on Sunday.  My PCP asked me if I was tried and I said no more than usual so It's not hitting me yet. I lead a busy life which is a direct result of this surgery.  I'm just in need of a little help right now. My PCP talked about iron infusions so we will see what the Hema Dr says..

Reggie

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/12 9:41 am
It was interesting in my own case, over the course of a few of a months my energy levels got insidiously lower and lower. I adapted, as our bodies are so great at doing, and barely noticed. In fact, I told myself I was just being lazy and needed to exercise more. but the more I exercised the worse I felt! Finally, I just went from kinda tired to hitting this giant brick wall of "oh holy hell i'm dying." It was so sudden, and I suspect it was just my body saying, ok, there's no more iron. You're depleted, we're screwed, I cannot draw on stores anymore, they are gone, so this is it. And it gave up compensating.

You don't wanna get there before you get help! 

Infusions aren't an option for me, but after a couple of months of mega dosing iron, I'm feeling alot better. I'm sure i'm out of anemia now, but definitely still iron deficient. So you will feel alot better alot sooner and probably won't even realize how bad you were feeling until you start feeling good again.
cajungirl
on 9/25/12 9:51 am
 It reads anemic, dont stress about it Reggie get a game plan in order with your hematologist. Many of us are dealing with anemia right now it seems. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

azreggie
on 9/25/12 9:58 am, edited 9/24/12 10:00 pm - Tucson, AZ
I'm just grateful that my PCP is on top of it and that I got an appointment so quickly. Crazy huh?

Reggie

seattledeb
on 9/25/12 11:47 am
 Reggie..what are your renal numbers? They were elevated before..have they come back down? Renal insuffiency as well as being post Rny can cause anemia.
 I love IV iron. It makes me feel so good! My anemia is so much better since the transplant. My hct is 38..highest in my life.
I hope they fix you up fast.
Deb T.

raj123
on 9/26/12 4:07 am - Las Vegas, NV
I too had very low iron and was referred to a hematologist. I went through 10 rounds of weekly iron infusions and my levels barely went up. I then started 8 rounds of a double dose and after 5 my levels came into the normal range. On aoot 6 the doctor canceled my last two infusions and wants to see me back in a month to see if my body can maintain the iron on its own. Most likely will need a few rounds of infusions 1-2 times a year but I can handle that. Its amazing how much better I feel and how much more energy I have!!! Good luck and hang in there...very normal complication :) 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 139 views
Recent Topics