I need help!!

babygirlbrookelynn
on 9/28/12 4:01 am - senoia, GA
I don't know anyone who's done the RNY Gastric Bypass and I need some answers please!! I am dead set this is what my life needs to be happy and healthy. I have medicaid and my  BMI is in the eligibility. That being said.. how do i start about this? Do I bring it up to my family doctor? Medicaid says I will have to have my doctor refer me to a nutritionist for 6 months. But how do I bring this up to my doctor?
Vivian Prouty
on 9/28/12 4:10 am - Fort Worth, TX
 Just tell your doctor that you have been researching WLS and that RNY is the one that you feel is right for you.   You will need to make sure that  you are referred to a surgeon who accepts Medicaid.    Good luck to you on your journey.

Hugs and blessings ~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

MsVThin
on 9/28/12 4:18 am - Hesperia, CA
 Go to your doctor and explain that you have been struggling with weight gain issues.  Make sure you discuss all your immediate family's health problems that have been related to obesity, examples: diabetes, heat disease, etc.  Show your concern and discuss wls options with your doctor.  If your doctor does not agree with you...change doctors...find one who will give attention to your concerns of your health.  I'm sure you will not have any problem finding a doc to give you a referral as long and you meet criteria for surgery and do not have certain risk factors.  Good Luck to you!

sunnydelightinpa
on 9/28/12 4:31 am - Dawson, PA
I brought it up to my family Dr. and she had me do the 6 month diet and faxed my monthly progress to the surgeons office. Your Dr will hook you up with a surgeon. Whatever u do don't do what I did and miss one of your monthly app. while your on your 6 month diet because it could set u back further like it did me. Good luck with everything! It was the best decision I ever made for myself. I don't know why I didn't consider wls years ago.

poet_kelly
on 9/28/12 6:56 am - OH
Say, "Doctor, I want to have weight loss surgery.  I need you to refer me to a registered dietician, please."  Make sure you see a registered dietician, not a nutritionist, since a RD must have a degree in their field and is regulated by the state.  Nutritionists, on the other hand, don't have to meet any kind of standards.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

babygirlbrookelynn
on 9/28/12 7:07 am - senoia, GA
Well I recently changed my doctor now that I am 21 years old. This will be my first visit with her and I'm just nervous to actually ask about it.. I'm going to schedule my appointment for this upcoming week and I hope the best comes of this. I really need this surgery I refuse to sit aside and be miserable and unhealthy while my child grows up. He's 4 now, he needs a mommy that can assist him on the Tball field and soccer field and I refuse to sit on the side while someone else helps my child because they feel im not able to do so! Doing this for him and I. I really appreciate the advice and help you've ladies had directed to me.  You're all awesome and I hope life is good to you all!
BezoarGirl
on 9/29/12 4:45 am - WA
I brought up the subject with my dr. and he said the RNY was the best one to get.  He also suggested I find a dr. that works with a Center of Excellence.  Many insurance plans require that.  I found one near my house that a friend recommened and went to a evening seminar with my husband.  There the dr. and asst. discussed all the types of surgerys there were and common things I would need to do for tests etc.. before hand. My dr. also has a support follow up meeting monthly for people.  I would suggest shop around to you find one that clicks and fits with you.  Hope that helps!  
BWB
on 9/29/12 5:59 am
 It seems that tthere are doctors that give detailed information on everthing regarding nutrition, exercise, the operation, and you absolutely need thorough guidelines.  Don't bother with anyone that doesn't  and that is where the Center of Excellence comes in.  If you can find a medical school with a bariatric department, check them out first.  

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/12 10:59 am
I saw on your profile that your BMI is 25.1. Is that correct? If so I'm not sure you are eligible to have the surgery (or that you even need it!) My BMI is 29 and that's after having surgery and losing almost 100 lb. But I could be wrong and I wanted to mention that.  Check to see what the eligibility requirements are since you dont want to spend a lot of time going through the steps to have the surgery only to find out you can't.
babygirlbrookelynn
on 9/30/12 4:36 am - senoia, GA

oh noo thats definately not right lol!! i don't know why it says 25.1 .... im like 45
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics