What is the best protein powder for an RNY patient ?

HolliM
on 9/29/12 6:24 am - Red Bush, KY
Looking for idea's.
I know everyones tastes are different.

Highest Weight 335                      When I came home 330.2
Surgery Weight 321.4                   Current 170
www.myspace.com/hma82

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 9/29/12 6:30 am
Whey isolate is the best for us.  Brand?  Tastes vary widely.  I use Body Fortress from Walmart.  I mostly make lattes with vanilla protein powder,  a little milk, SF hazelnut syrup and coffee.  Both hot an cold. 

I hate all the fruity Nector protein powders but lots of people love them.  Buy samples and find out what you like.

Winnie

Kat Kat
on 9/29/12 6:51 am - AZ

Hi Holli,

Asking about protein in this forum is like asking about the best spaghetti sauce or green chili recipe. It varies widely, and everyone has an opinion. Whey protein isolate is the best, and stay away from protein collagen's since we receive very little benefit from them. 

To save time and expense, I recommend you go to https://vitalady.com/ and order samples to try until you find one you like.

Protein forward recipes, and ideas to make great tasting protein shakes, and ice cream  can be found at http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ and http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/

Kat

wendydettmer
on 9/29/12 7:03 am - Rochester, NY
most people will say whey protein isolate.
i use a vegan multi source brand that i enjoy. if you don't have allergies or care about vegan, then a whey isolate is good, followed, i believe by a concentrate or mix of the two

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

rynbiz
on 9/29/12 7:55 am - Surprise, AZ
i GET DYNAMITZE NUTRION ISO ITS 25 GRAMS OF PROTEIN A SERVING NO SUGAR LOW CALORIES AND GOURMET BERRY WITH i CE COLD WATER KINDA REMINDS ME OF KOOL AID

stacy158
on 9/29/12 11:17 am - TX
RNY on 10/23/12
Personally, the only powders I have found that I like are the Syntrax Nectars.  To me, they are the only ones that don't smell like infant formula.
Christy L.
on 9/29/12 1:16 pm - TN
I drink EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control every morning for breakfast.  They are premixed, convenient and taste good.  I am really weird about protein and vitamin tastes, and the chocolate taste like a yoohoo to me.   I didn't LOVE them at first, but now I miss them when I skip them.  I buy them in bulk at Sam's, but Walmart has them also.  Good luck!  Everyone is different, so it takes some experimenting to find one you like!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/29/12 2:58 pm - OH
Whey protein isolate (in whatever form, brand, and flavor you like...and, as others have already mentioned, tastes vary WIDELY when it comes to protein supplements... moreso than anything else, I think!) is the best for your body in terms of how absorbable and usable it is. 

Soy protein supplements are also ok.i

Avoid the collagen protein "bullets"/"shots" (that come in what look like large plastic test tubes) because all but one brand (so far) do not have all the amino acids necessary to absorb the protein (and collagen protein is a far inferior protein than whey protein to begin with, even if you could absorb it).

in terms of personal preferences, I like Unjury Chocolate Splendor and Chicken Soup (a great break from sweet protein powders), Oh Yeah brand chocolate and banana flavors, all three Cytomax protein water flavors (but I think the Isopure ones are disgusting), Syntrax Vanilla Bean Torte, Twisted Cherry, and Roadside Alemonade.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

alwaysbrandi
on 9/29/12 11:28 pm - NY
RNY on 07/03/12
I drink the GNC Lean Shake 25 in Rich Chocolate mixed with Almond Milk. I use it for breakfast with PB2 giving me 30g of protein, I get the other 30g+ in through food.

HW : 320 - SW : 284 - Surgeon's GW : 169 - My GW : 140

JOY H.
on 9/30/12 10:03 am - Jackson, NC
RNY on 06/27/12
I love Premier RTD shakes from Sam's.  I drink one every morning...30g protein, low calorie, low carbs and sugar.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 143 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics