Vacation Eating

alwaysbrandi
on 9/29/12 11:49 pm, edited 9/29/12 11:52 pm - NY
RNY on 07/03/12
I'm going on vacation to Phoenix for a week in 2 weeks to visit my biological cousin (she was given up for adoption by my then 17 year old Aunt) whom I met after I found her last year. I will be meeting her husband and children along with her adoptive family for the first time. They know I've had surgery and I'm going to hit up a grocery store as soon as I land to get food. But, her adoptive parents want to take us all out to dinner and although I told them I prefer not to eat out and why they are adamant. I figure I'll just politely fill the waiter in and ask for some kind of baked fish and ask that it's not cooked with butter or something like that. What are your recommendations for getting through my first restaurant visit without dumping? Lord help me lol.

Also, any tips for food to travel with? I work for the airline and am flying standby (but, free) so who knows how long the trip will take. I'm only bringing a carry on and obv can't bring 3oz + liquids through security. I was thinking string cheese, almonds, beef jerky, I just need enough to tie me over. I really don't want to risk diarrhea/vomiting on a Newark - Phoenix flight. I will be asking for an aisle seat though!

HW : 320 - SW : 284 - Surgeon's GW : 169 - My GW : 140

Kim S.
on 9/30/12 12:01 am - Helena, AL
Don't be afraid of restaurant eating!  There are more places you can eat than can't.  You don't need to fill in any restaurant worker...there is nothing wrong if the fish you order is cooked with some butter.  You need some good fat in your diet.

Just ask for a restaurant that serves fish or chicken (depending on your ability to eat chicken...I could eat dark meat just fine early out).  Get something grilled or baked and get a side of soup or veggies.

Eat a bit and take the rest home for later, or leave it.

Most of all, have fun on your trip!!

artroxy blue
on 9/30/12 12:42 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I was afraid of eating out, too, but don't be. There is usually something on the menu you can have--even with modifications. I'd order last, just so you can go through your dietary needs. Any restaurant worthwhile will make accommodations for you. I'd order something that you have tolerated at home, like fish or chicken without heavy sauces. 

As for traveling, I'd make a travel baggie of packets to take with you--Crystal Light, protein bars. Once you've gone through security, pick up some yogurt or cheese at one of the convenience stores. Also, pick up some water or some other beverage you like, just to drink it while you wait. 

Have a great trip!
jamiebrain
on 9/30/12 3:22 am - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 I've eaten out several times already.  I've ordered a cheeseburger with no bun and toppings on the side.  Eaten only half of it.  I've had meatloaf and mashed potatoes, left a lot behind.  I've had chili, I've had soup.  You just won't fini****  If they want to take you out and spend money for you to leave 1/2 or 3/4 of the food behind, hell, let 'em!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

marye140
on 9/30/12 6:06 am - DE
If  you can look up the menu first before you go it can help you plan.  Just realize you will have leftovers.  The last meal out I had it took 3 meals to fini**** 

HW: 298   SW:263  CW:139   RNY 8/1/12

stlfocus
on 9/30/12 6:28 am - IA
I am at Walt Disneyworld right now.  I brought protein bars for breakfast and almonds for snacks.

I have found they actually have HEALTHY kid meals consisting of grilled chicken strips, carrots and green beans.  Included rice but I left that behind.  Boring but tasty and fits in my eating plan.

Don't hesitate to ask if you can order from a kid's menu or asking for something special like fish or chicken prepared without any extra fat or sauce.

Totally doable, but it ticks me off to throw away a lot of the meal because I have nowhere to reheat it.

Annie_Anaba
on 9/30/12 9:50 am
RNY on 08/27/12
I always add to my husbands or daughter-in-laws meal....like add 4 shrimp or scallops no sauces and grilled of course. Even cream soups are ok because we cant eat that much of them. Try to have fun and enjoy your family.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 288 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics