Question for Vets: Is it Possible to Reach Goal

Kat Kat
on 9/29/12 7:15 am, edited 9/28/12 9:04 pm - AZ
Hi,

I'm almost 18 months out, and have about 45 lbs left to lose. I've read about quite a few post-ops not being able to reach goal because their bodies found a spot they liked, and wouldn't budge beyond it. I realize the goal is more about becoming healthy, but I do need to get lower for the sake of my health. I'm sure the 18 month time frame isn't set in granite, but I have slowed down significantly, so I'm concerned I will hit a spot where I won't go any lower soon.

Kat

Edited to provide stats:

Height: 5' 2 1/2"
Current wt: 184.4 lbs
Goal: 140
Body frame: Petite

poet_kelly
on 9/29/12 7:35 am - OH
I'm five pounds below goal right now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kat Kat
on 9/29/12 11:23 pm - AZ

Thanks for replying, that's wonderful to hear.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/29/12 8:30 am - OH
Whether you can get to goal depends one number of factors, not the least of which is how realistic your goal weight is.  I am short, but NOT petite, and although 125 pounds would have been at the lower end of a "normal" BMI for me, I knew that I did NOT have a body that would ever be 125 pounds (huge boobs, very muscular thighs, large bones in my legs).  I got to my realistic goal,  but would never have gotten twenty pounds lower.     I know several people who continued losing (slowly) for a full two years, and you may very well be one of them. I also know a couple of people who never got to their goal weight, even though it was realistic.  One started eating too many carbs again, but the other two SEEMED to still be eating very much on plan.  Some people just seem to have bodies that prefer some additional cushioning.   It also depends on your metabolism, and on how much you are willing to strictly limit what you eat, and how much you are willing to exercise, to get AND KEEP your body lower.  Even I could have starved my body into submission and down 10 pounds at least, but it is highly unlikely that I would have been able to maintain that weight without continuing to starve myself (and, by that, I mean continuing with much less than 1100 calories a day). I would rather maintain my weight at an extra twenty pounds and be able to eat like a normal person with occasional treats than to have forced my body 20 pounds lower (which, as i said, I don't even believe would have been possible) and purchased a bunch of clothes to fit the smaller body(!) and then have bounced up those twenty pounds.   Some people will say that EVERYONE can choose their weight.  I don't believe that is true and neither does my surgeon or my PCP.
Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kat Kat
on 9/30/12 12:00 am - AZ

Thanks for taking the time to respond Lora.

Since I am still losing (albeit slowly now) perhaps I will be fortunate enough reach goal. I've read about so many post op****ting a place, and not being able to budge past it, that I was concerned this was the fate for most of us RNYers.  It seems only time, and vigilance to my plan will tell. I have been highly motivated throughout this process, so I am happy to know that it is sometimes possible.

As I replied to another person, I have a  brain condition  in which weight loss is my best shot at bringing it into remission. If it can't be controlled this way, and with medication, I am looking at the possibility of going blind along with a multitude of miserable symptoms to accompany it. Unfortunately, the weight I've lost so far has not been successful enough. There are also 2 surgical procedures that may be performed, but both are risky, and used as a last resort.

A little hope is better than none at all, so again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Kat

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/29/12 8:37 am - OH
Sorry about the big paragraph.  I wrote separate paragraphs, but I don't know what happened to them when i hit submit.  When I try to edit the post, the screen shows it as if it was white letters on a white background.  (It knows there is text there but I cannot see it.)  

I think it is a glitch with the new iOS 6 that I just installed on my iPad because it happened on another reply I wrote.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kat Kat
on 9/30/12 12:02 am - AZ
No worries, I read your response just fine. I hope you get the iPad issue resolved.

TXKashmir
on 9/29/12 9:19 am - Grand Prairie, TX
I am your same height/build, and managed to get down to 127. I've had my bounce-back and feel much healthier. What makes you think you can't be healthy at 184?

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Kat Kat
on 9/29/12 9:39 am - AZ

I have a rare brain condition in which the first line of treatment to get it in remission is to lose weight. The weight I've lost so far hasn't helped enough.

TXKashmir
on 9/29/12 10:48 am - Grand Prairie, TX
Oh, Kat - I'm so sorry to hear that. The good news is, it IS totally possible to reach goal with your wonderful tool. It does get to be a little more work after about the 18 month mark, but still way easier than pre-op. Best of luck to you!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 236 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?