Lettuce?

jschultes
on 10/2/12 1:45 am - ND
I am one of the lucky ones who can eat lettuce! I've searched on here but not found too many answers to how much lettuce is ok to eat. Right now I measure out about 1/3 a cup and just add about a tablespoon of ranch to it. I feel like I could eat more of it and hear others say they can to. Would 1 cup of lettuce be way out of line at this point? Thank you in advance for all of your help!
CindyKae64
on 10/2/12 2:14 am, edited 10/2/12 2:14 am
RNY on 05/22/12
How far post op are you? I had surgery 5/22 and my Dr. okayed lettuce at 3 months and my Nut said one cup of lettuce would be okay, since it's mainly water we can eat more of it than dense food.

It will hurt. It will take time. It will require dedication. It will require willpower. It requires sacrifice. There will be temptation. But, I promise you, when you reach your goal, it's WORTH IT! (Author Unknown). I feel this sums up my ongoing journey to a healthier me!

Mike R.
on 10/2/12 2:43 am - Warner Robins, GA
1 cup should be fine.  Just be sure to eat your protein first.  Your hunger will return @ 6-9 months out.  So, learning to use your pouch to create satiety by filling with solid protein first is a must (also no drinking during or for 30 min after eating).

It's fun to mess with the wait staff at a restaurant:  "Sir, is the salad ok?"  Me:  "It's fine.  I just eat my salad last for dessert!"

Good luck!

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/12 3:00 am - OH
It's not really a question of how much is "ok" to eat but how much SHOULD you eat. Protein should come first always. Then, salad if you have room. There is very little nutritional value in most kinds of lettuce and when you have limited pouch space, choosing high nutritional value foods is really important.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jschultes
on 10/2/12 3:01 am - ND
I am almost exactly 6 months post op and usually eat 2 oz of protein and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of other things.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/12 3:14 am - OH
At 6 months out, you can probably eat more than 2 ounces of protein.  Are you able to get in at least 60-80g of protein eating only 2 ounces at a meal?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wendydettmer
on 10/2/12 3:50 am - Rochester, NY
I'm 9 months out and just had a cup of romaine, with a few slices of cucumber and peppers. I topped it with some baked tofu (about 3 ounces). the lettuce pretty much chews up to nothing when I eat it. I eat that most days for lunch

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

jschultes
on 10/2/12 4:27 am - ND
2 ozs is pretty good compared to the 1oz that I've been able to do up to this month! I do need to do shakes usually but always get in the 65gms that my doctor requires.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 337 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 494 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 91 views
Recent Topics