My Ferritin

azreggie
on 10/2/12 8:45 am - Tucson, AZ
Is 7 , normal range is 18-383
Holy crap!
I saw the Hematologist this morning and I guess we will be starting iron infussions.  He also asked me if I was having headaches in the back of my head which was weird because that just started this week. He did not have my Ferritin level yet but said a curious thing, He said he wondered why I wasn't making blood?  I will be talking to his office tomorrow to schedule the appointment for infussion.

Reggie

Laura in Texas
on 10/2/12 8:47 am
Wow!! Glad you went to an expert. I'm sure he'll figure it out and get you feeling back to normal ASAP!! Keep us posted!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

azreggie
on 10/2/12 9:54 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks Laura, me too.

Reggie

Blondie76
on 10/2/12 10:15 am - AL
I just started my infusions yesterday. We can go through this journey together. How are they doing yours? I have to go in 5 times in two weeks. I'm going everyday this week. It's relaxing to get to just sit there and the nurses have been awesome!! Hope you feel better soon and the infusions help!!! Keep us updated!
azreggie
on 10/2/12 10:27 am - Tucson, AZ
The Dr told me that it would be a 4 hour session.

Reggie

TamaraL
on 10/2/12 11:08 am
Reggie,

Call and ask if you need to take benadryl before your first iron infusion.  If you are having the one that is 4 hours you can sometimes have a reaction because it is such a high dosage

I had 6 weeks of IV infusions that took 1 -2 hours

Tamara

cajungirl
on 10/2/12 1:24 pm
 Tamara do they not give you benedryl before each infusion?  I just finished 6 weeks of them (one per week) of Infed. Before each one they did a saline flush and IV benedryl and steroid. Then they did a small amount of the Infed and had me wait 15 minutes to make sure I didn't have a reaction then I got the infusion.  

Mine lasted between 1 1/2 - 2 hrs each. 

I slept through most of it, the benedryl knocked me out. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

TamaraL
on 10/2/12 9:12 pm
not always.  I had 6 weeks of IV and probable going to have them again.  Never once had benadryl but never had a reaction. I was given sodium Ferric Gluconate.

When you do the 1 that is 4 hours it is a lot of iron at 1 time and can cause a reaction.  It does take a little bit for the benadryl to start working so that is why I told REggie to see if she needed to take it 30 minutes before infusions.

Tamara

azreggie
on 10/3/12 2:26 am - Tucson, AZ
azreggie
on 10/3/12 2:28 am - Tucson, AZ
Good question Tamara, I will ask.

Reggie

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 359 views