Very discouraged - still no weight loss

longhornrose
on 10/2/12 3:20 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
I am so sad and discouraged.  Thursday, I'll be 3 weeks out from my RNY, and I haven't lost a pound.  I know I've posted about this before, and I'm sorry to be a whiner, but I just need to vent. 

I'm not cheating.  I'm trying my best to get down my water, my vitamins, and my protein.  The only thing I'm not doing is walking, which of course might be a big part of the problem.  I am trying to be more active around the house, though, for whatever that's worth.

I just can't believe I'm not losing weight.  It's unreal.  It took me so long to get to my surgery; made lots and lots of changes in my lifestyle, in my eating habits.  Went for counseling, learned some great ways to avoid emotional eating.  Then I went through surgery.  I have been very lucky in that the surgery was almost painless, no serious problems, and physically, I feel good. 

I'm not even tempted to eat because of being depressed..  In fact, I just could care less about eating.  I just want to lose, so I'm eating according to my plan.  I will keep on doing what I'm doing, there's not other option there.   

Please, please, if this has happened to anyone else, I would love to hear how the numbers eventually started to go down, and what it was you did to make that happen.  I really need some encouragement from someone who's been through a similar experience. 

Thanks for listening.  I'm just so down I want to cry, and needed to get this out.

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

daphneb
on 10/2/12 4:05 pm - AK
Hang in there, I am 10 weeks after surgery and over the last two weeks I haven't lost anything more.  It's part of it, I guess.  Keep doing what you're doing and it will happen.  Make sure you are getting your requirements in, not jus****er and vitamins, but also your meals too.  Super important.

We can cheer each other on, because I too am a wee bit frustrated but keep trekking on.  Write a journal record everything, maybe there will be a pattern you can observe along the journey.

Good Luck, and hang in there!

alwaysbrandi
on 10/2/12 11:36 pm - NY
RNY on 07/03/12
I didn't lose a thing from Week 8 to Week 11. The last week I've lost 7 lbs. just follow the rules, all of our bodies heal differently. I was so discouraged but it all worked out.

HW : 320 - SW : 284 - Surgeon's GW : 169 - My GW : 140

Ladytazz
on 10/2/12 4:23 pm
 It looks like you must have lost a lot of weight before your surgery. Sometimes people who have a large pre-op weight loss seem to lose slowly in the beginning.  That's because you've already had your big pop before you had your surgery.  It will work out soon.  I know it's easy to feel discouraged at this point but I am sure before long things will pick up.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/12 5:27 pm
RNY on 08/31/12
 Sometimes a cry helps and we can move on better afterwards. I hope it gets better. Is there any chance your scale is off? (just hoping)

Take care and come back to vent later. 
Darcy S.
on 10/2/12 7:31 pm - Clinton, CT
Make sure you are eating as directed by your dr. Sometimes not eating makes your body hold on in starvation mode. So eat. Have you measured your body? I found that when the scales stuck the inches are dropping.

Good luck and you found a good place for support.

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

poet_kelly
on 10/2/12 7:34 pm - OH
You haven't lose one pound since you had surgery three weeks ago?  What does your surgeon say about it? 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kay L.
on 10/2/12 9:38 pm - N., AL
NOT eating will make it worse. Your body has likely gone into starvation mode. Also, like someone has already said, you lost a large amount pre-surgery, so that can cause slower weight loss. Eat something appropriate and walk.

Like Kelly said, you may need to speak with your surgeon or at the very least your nutritionist.
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 10/2/12 9:56 pm, edited 10/2/12 9:56 pm
RNY on 01/10/12
Did you gain much in the hospital?   It took me a week to lose the water weight I gained in the hospital, so I count my post-op weight loss from the weight I was when I came home from the hospital, not from when I went in.

And it's extremely common to have a small pause in weight loss at the 3 week mark as your body adjusts.

That said, I think if I were you I'd call the doc and see what he has to say.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

aesposito
on 10/2/12 11:08 pm
All respect to the other posters, but IMHO as a healthcare professional it is physically impossible to not lose a SINGLE POUND in three weeks following this surgery unless a) something is wrong, or b) there is another issue we don't know about (revision, lower starting weight than average, retaining fluid, other co-morbidities, etc).

Walking has nothing to do with it (although it's certainly a good idea)... even 600 pound people who get RNY and can't get out of bed to walk lose weight in the first few weeks.

Either way, it is a very serious matter and you need to talk to your doctor immediately.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views