Revising to RNY from Band - Dr. Juarez

Michele1az
on 10/4/12 6:28 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13
Hi!

On Oct. 25th, I am revising from band to RNY. I never thought about bypass before, only the sleeve, but I am excited to be healthy.

I will be starting my 2 week liquid diet on Oct. 11th. Can anyone give my advice, encouragement, etc?

If you used Dr. Juarez, any suggestions. He wants me to use only the protein powder sold in his office for pre-surgery.

Currently 330 (highest weight)
Goal 150
5'8"

Weighed 140 in High School, 165 in college, 180 in my 20s. I started my 30s, pregnant at 240 and ended my 30s at 290ish. One failed lap-band at
36. Very active through my 20s. No activity in my 30s.

Michele in Arizona

Surgery:8-26-13

poet_kelly
on 10/4/12 8:00 am - OH
Well, there's no reason to use only protein powder he sells.  I hate when docs try to coerce patients into doing that just to make some extra money off us, like we don't pay them enough as it is to operate on us.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AmberF
on 10/4/12 1:44 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
Hey good luck with your revision! Next friday the 12th my surgeon is taking my band out and then 6 weeks later doing my bypass to let my stomach heal. I wish he was doing it at the same time but Im just going to have to accept that he knows whats best for me. Im really nervous to get it removed and praying that it hasnt done any damage. The band has been a nightmare! Super embarrasing to have a weight loss surgery and not lose. But I never had restriction and had a crap surgeon and not instructions (since have changed surgeons) Im at 364 now and very excited to get my revison and lose the weight this time! Im very happy for you and I hope everything goes well!!
OldmanJim
on 10/4/12 3:51 pm - AZ
Michele, I had my RNY done by Dr Daniel Fang who works with Dr Juarez at Abdomianl Surgeons in Phx, Az.  My initial breifing was conducted by Dr Juarez.  Both doctors require ALL their patients to use Bariatic Advantage (BA) Protein Meal replacement kit.  As I questioned both doctors about the reason they require BA only, it is that they do not want to do an open RNY and they believe that BA meal replacement products will allow the patient to safely lose the most weight and shrink their liver.  I also checked with BA and found that the prices at the doctors office is maybe $2 or $3 different for the pre-op kit that consists of a 35 meal bag, the 4 pre mixed bottles and 13 protein bars.  Only thing I can attest to is that I lost 28 lbs pre-op and didn't have to have an open RNY.  The BA meal replacement kit is the only meals you are required to purchase from them.  This was all explained to me at my initial briefing and is shown on the documents you were given.

I think their system works as I am now down 107 lbs from my high weight of 341 on May 1st.  My surgery was May 17th and I've lost 79 since than.

I also think they are both good doctors who are not trying to hustle you for a few dollars, but rather want to insure that you have a safe surgery.

Jim       
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 440 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 382 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 105 views