Pretzels

mg220
on 10/4/12 5:29 am
RNY on 08/08/12
Are pretzels ok to eat at 8 weeks out? I have had a few and chew them until they are mushy and have seemed to tolerate just one. Just wanted to know if this is ok or not....
Meg

Surgery Date: August 8th, 2012
HW: 285 / Surgery Day Weight: 274 / CW: 237.5 / Goal Weight: 160

"BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD"
-GANDHI

poet_kelly
on 10/4/12 5:33 am - OH
On October 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM Pacific Time, mg220 wrote:
Are pretzels ok to eat at 8 weeks out? I have had a few and chew them until they are mushy and have seemed to tolerate just one. Just wanted to know if this is ok or not....
What does your surgeon's plan say?  I did not eat things like pretzels that early out.  I was on a regular diet by then but ate very limited starches for the first few months.  I did occasionally eat half a slice of whole grain bread, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lisapo
on 10/4/12 5:37 am - WI
Pretzels have virtually no nutritional value. Since you have such limited room in your pouch at this stage you should choose something with more nutrition.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/4/12 5:40 am - OH
Pretzels won't physically hurt you, but eating them is also not helping you retrain your eating habits.

I know eating a pretzel or two seems like a little thing (and there isn't anything wrong with a small treat every now and then), but please do your best to focus heavily on protein and avoiding "white" carbs for as long as possible.  Trust me, you should take as much advantage as you can of the first few months post-op to establish healthy eating habits because it is easiest right after surgery (when your appetite is limited) and the healthy habits will be all that stands between you and regain once your pouch expands and you lose the caloric malabsorption.

Lora

10 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

val6715
on 10/4/12 6:11 am - NJ
 I asked my nutritionist before surgery and she laughed a little and told me if my stomach was upset, I could lick the salt off the pretzel. That was about it. Oh well. I'll give up pretzels for getting rid of any of my co morbidity problems.

stlfocus
on 10/4/12 9:49 am - IA
This is waaaaaay too early for this kind of stuff.  You need to concentrate on protein.  I am almost 13 months out, and I choose not to eat empty carbs like pretzels.  Like a previous poster said, it seems like a small thing, but I am concerned about where it might lead.

walterswife
on 10/4/12 10:06 am
It's much too early. Plus pretzels are too carby and have too much sodium. Save your room for protein and leave to "junky stuff" alone.  

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active
What?s on your Thursday menu?
Melody P. · 20 replies · 238 views
What?s on your photo Friday menu?
Melody P. · 19 replies · 189 views
What?s on your Tuesday menu?
Melody P. · 18 replies · 280 views
What?s on your Wednesday menu?
Melody P. · 17 replies · 264 views
What's on your Monday menu?
catwoman7 · 9 replies · 181 views