I don't get it!

Friendlybyte
on 10/9/12 3:15 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

I am 6 weeks post op today.  A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with Meralgia paresthetica in my left thigh, I woke up after surgery with the symptoms and the pain has not stopped since.  NOW ... I am having pain in my right hip and went in for x-rays and found out I have severe arthritis! WTH! I am still on pain pills and now I have to use a cane.  I am waiting to be scheduled for steroids injections which will slow down my weightloss I have been told but I have no choice, I can't live like this!  I thought with a big weightloss I would be in a better place... I have been crying for 2 days now... Thanks for letting me vent...

Kim S.
on 10/9/12 3:54 am - Helena, AL
No matter what, the more weight you lose, the better you will feel.  I have arthritis in both knees, and it is almost non existent now that I am at goal weight and am a runner.

Hang in there!  Take it one day at a time.

Hugs.

Friendlybyte
on 10/9/12 4:11 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12
Kim, thanks for responding!  I want to be able to run oneday!  My daughter is running a 5K in Vegas in a month or so and I would love to be able to do one with her someday!  I am just in such disbelief that this all started AFTER my surgery... I just don't get it!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/9/12 4:17 am - OH
If you continue following your eating plan properly, steroid injections should not affect your weight loss at all.  I get injections in both knees for arthritis every few months (and have beenm for the entire 5 years since my surgery) and it has not been a problem.  First of all, steroid injections do not cause the same kind of increase in appetite that oral steroids do, ans secondly, even with increased appetite from oral steroids, it is the act of giving in and eating more that is the cause of weight gain, not anything magical about the drug that automatically adds weight.  YOU are in control. 

Please take a deep breath and pull yourself together.  There are MANY people here who take steroid injections on a regular basis because of joint issues.  If you follow your plan you will be just fine. Steroid injections will NOT doom you to a life of obesity, and having to have them is not worth the 2 days you have already spent crying over it.  Deep breath in... deep breath out...  inhale... exhale...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Friendlybyte
on 10/9/12 4:32 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12
Thank you Lora!!  I am not going to give up!  I am blessed to say that I have not had to take any of my 3 different diabetes meds in over 4 weeks and my BP is improved so much that I haven't had to take any meds in over a week!  I need to focus on all the good changes and not dwell on all the new bad things... I hate pain meds and wish I could do without them! 

MBallard
on 10/9/12 5:16 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
 I also have meralgia paresthetica and it hurts so bad. I was also diagnosed with arthritis in my neck I know what you are going through Hun, hang in there. Glad to hear your blood pressure improved, mine is still through the roof!

Surgery date - February 7, 2013

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 445 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views