SSRIs and Weight Gain Post-Op

unewillow
on 10/10/12 5:52 am - CT
I've always had some mild depression and food was one of my big coping mechanisms. Since having my surgery I've found myself noticing more and more that I am just not happy. I've also found myself slipping back into grazing on crap foods (chips are a big culprit) when I am feeling low. So, today when I was at my annual physical I spoke with my new APRN about starting meds and getting into therapy. She started me on Viibryd which is a new SSRI that supposedly has less of the sexual side effects and weight gain than other SSRIs on the market.

I don't know if anyone else is on this med, but can anyone comment on whether they had any issues with weight gain on an SSRI?

denaraye
on 10/10/12 7:36 am - MI
I am currently being weaned off Viibryd.  I had no side affects while taking it.  Be certain you do NOT just stop taking it though, the one time I missed a few days I became very angry almost violent and this is not me at all.  My doctor and I now feel I can do more for my symptoms with vitamin D than with a perscription drug.  Good Luck!

I am no longer defined, by the wreckage behind!

Carol S.
on 10/10/12 8:10 am - Milwaukee, WI
 If you notice weight gain make an appointment with a therapist/Pdoc and play with them a little.  There are other options.

I gained a ton of weight on Cymbalta.  I was getting clean and sober so the weight gain was low on my list of worries.  I've been off of it for 5 years and am back at goal with a lot of hard work and still clean and sober.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

L. Noble
on 10/11/12 12:26 am - TX
HI Carol,
I am almost 10 yrs out from RNY I lost 126 pounds and felt good about the way I looked, I have always had problems with depression and taken things for it off and on before RNY then I didn't take anything up until the past two years when some things in my life caused me severe depression and I was diagnosed with bipolar, I started taking cymbalta, abilify and trazadone and I noticed that I was gaining weight I spoke to my doctor about it and he dimissed my concerns and said it was more important to stay on the meds. I ended up gaining 60 pounds and am currently trying to lose it , I have stopped all medication and refuse to take it again because of the weight gain. My question is how did you lose your weight after you regained? I am currently watching my carb and sugar intake and also started taking the green coffee bean extract and have lost about 13 pounds but it's super slow.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 345 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?