I can't stop eating--how do you battle obsessive head hunger?

maggaggie
on 10/21/12 11:56 pm - MO
RNY on 05/29/12
Head hunger is literally taking over my mind.  I always tend to fatten up over the winter, but I'm only a little over 4 months out and I don't want to!  How do you battle obsessive head hunger?
Surgery 5/29/12...
Robin R.
on 10/22/12 12:07 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12
keep your mind and body busy in different ways. enough to when you forget that you want food. do laundry, play an internet game, hang out with a friend, organize your closet.... any kind of activity or project. if you don't want to eat and the head hunger comes the best thing to do is just doing something. time flies when you're having fun :) soon enough it will be time for you to eat.

mickeymantle
on 10/22/12 1:07 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13
try a full spectum light , lots of people get depressed during winter from not enough sun , the more skin getting light the better , many people eat when there depressed
someone suggested knitting because its hard to knit and eat
Kallen27
on 10/22/12 1:10 am
When I get like that it normally lasts a couple of days and I have to plan to stay busy. It normally doesn't work for me to do something when I get the urge but if I can stay busy it helps! (I hope that you understood that!)

Bralen
on 10/22/12 2:12 am
I agree, KEEP BUSY! Head hunger is a habit and I battled it just like I battled quitting smoking. I kept my hands and my brain as busy as possible and I ate regularly by the clock. 
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
K. L
on 10/22/12 5:28 am
RNY on 08/20/12
honestly, head hunger usually hits me about an hr before bed when i'm sitting mindlessly watching tv. now if it happens and i cant fight it i just pack it in for the night and go to bed. I wake up in the morning feeling great because of the extra sleep, and knowing i didnt binge.
kathyshrinks
on 10/22/12 5:35 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
When I was about 4 weeks out from surgery, I had such a hard time with head hunger that I had to stop watching TV.  The commercials were killing me!  I still watch very rarely now, and I swear it helps immensely with head hunger.  I usually watch TV shows online now, and maybe it's because of the shows I choose to watch, but I never see food commercials.

JanBooth
on 10/22/12 5:53 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12
I agree with Kathyshrinks about TV.  I am amazed at how many foods there are on TV.  Not just commercials, though.  The other day, my husband and I were watching one of those political talk shows.  The speakers were sitting at a round table and right in the middle of the table was a huge dish of muffins, danishes and fruits!  I was trying to listen to what they were talking about, but had to leave the room.  When I asked my husband if that food was always in the middle of the table, he didn't know.  Now, being a little over 4 weeks out, I see food EVERYWHERE!  lol  I tend to curb hunger with either high protein jello, chicken broth, or just find something to occupy my mind.  It does pass.  I am surprised at how easily it does, sometimes....sometimes :)  Just hang in there.  I have several friends, and then the people on here, who've let me know it is possible to make this new "tool" work!  
Janet
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/22/12 7:24 am - OH
Being busy is a good short-term distraction for head hunger, and not giving in to it may help extingui**** to a limited degree, but usually there is more to intense head hunger than just boredom. I would suggest that counseling, to find out what is behind the "obsessive" head hunger would be useful, especially since this is a lifelong battle.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

shirleyfhoffman
on 10/22/12 5:09 pm - CA
Before I had my surgery, I asked my surgeon how I'd tell the difference between real hunger and head hunger and what I could do to stop it. He said, "Think of a food you despise. If you were truly hungry and someone said, "I'm sorry. All I have is _____________." You say thank you and eat it cause if you're truly hungry, anything will satisfy you. If you'd say no, you're just being fat and you need to stop that behavior right away or you'll stay fat." It seemed harsh at the time, but 175 pounds later, it's the best piece of advise I've come across so far!!! Before I eat anything, I ask myself if I'm just being fat. Sometimes I say yes and eat it anyway, but only if I'm willing to exercise off those extra calories BEFORE I eat them.

Also, I don't wait till I'm hungry to eat. It takes around 20 minutes for your brain to get the signal from your stomach that it's full. Do you have any idea how much we can overeat in 20 minutes?!? It's MUCH better to eat 6-7 small high protein meals throughout the day. Like a Greek yogurt, a protein shake, a string cheese with a slice or two fat free lunch meat, hard boiled egg...I try to get in between 1,100- 1,400 calories a day and between 80-120g of protein.

Hope this helps and good luck on your journey!

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 335 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views