"Surgery nesting" - have I done enough?

losing-lisa
on 10/22/12 12:45 pm - Stevens Point, WI
RNY on 10/31/12
I've been occupying myself with what I refer to as my "surgery nesting".  (Hey, if pregnant ladies can "nest" before having a baby, I can "nest" before having RNY surgery, dangit!)  So, yeah, I've been trying to get everything in my house ready and prepared for my post-op life.  (9 days until surgery!)  So far I have purchased baby spoons, tiny glass bowls (with lids!), 3 months worth of chewable vitamins, a pill organizer to keep my vitamins in, 2 blender bottles, and one tub of protein powder.  I spent the weekend raking leaves and putting up a temporary fenced-in area in my yard, since I don't know if I'll be able to go out there with my dogs for the first few days.  (And this way they won't try to go exploring when it's all snowy this winter.)  I've read 4-5 books about WLS, watched a billion YouTube videos on WLS (no, really, I've watched all the way back to March on Proof WLS Works), and have been lurking on OH for like 6 months, so I feel like I've done a lot to prepare myself mentally.

What am I missing?  I live by myself, so I really want to make sure I have everything ready BEFORE I go in for surgery.  My parents live only 10 minutes or so away, but I don't want to have to call my mom fifty times a day asking her to bring me things.  The friends I've told about this keep asking if I'm ready for surgery, and the only response I can give is "I hope so!"  I'm sure this question is asked all the time, but if you have any suggestion for "must-haves" or "must do's", I'd really appreciate the advice.

Lisa K
Post-op RNY - 10/31/2012

Pittsteelers
on 10/22/12 12:54 pm - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
Stock up on sf Popsicles. They were a must for me!!!! Sf jello also. You will also go home with a stack of prescriptions you will need filled. My suggestion is to let somebody get them for you. Good luck and keep us posted on your surgery.

losing-lisa
on 10/23/12 7:43 am - Stevens Point, WI
RNY on 10/31/12
Thanks for the tips! 
Robin R.
on 10/22/12 1:11 pm - PA
RNY on 10/12/12
Prepare to sleep in a recliner the first few nights because you won't be able to stand or lay straight for a few days.  Wherever you end up sitting for those first few days... be sure to put small tables or stack trays around so you can keep your vitamins, protein, and water next to you. Be prepared to walk even when you hate it, but it's still nice, especially if you don't have someone staying with you, to have all of your necesseties by your side.

losing-lisa
on 10/22/12 2:33 pm - Stevens Point, WI
RNY on 10/31/12
Ooh, good thinking on the table idea.  I have my recliner, but no nearby table, so I'll have to set one up before I go to the hospital.  Thanks!
chowell
on 10/22/12 1:22 pm - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12
you will need gas x because you are going to have alot of gas pressure right after your surgery, and walking ever hour will also help with the gas. I am just 2 weeks post op. i found it easier to remeber to take small sips by using a toddler sippy cup, not a spill proof that is like sucking thou a straw. remeber to use your breathing thing at least 4 times a day, if you dont already have one you should get one right after surgery, if not ask for one before you leave.

Cecily Howell                

Jodi77
on 10/23/12 12:34 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13
 What's a "breathing thing"???

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
 Dr. Seuss

Orientation: March 2012      Blah Blah Blah     Surgery:  February 5, 2013

losing-lisa
on 10/23/12 7:42 am - Stevens Point, WI
RNY on 10/31/12
I think the technical term for it is "incentive spirometer" maybe?  They have you breathe into it a few times a day after surgery to keep your lungs clear and help to prevent pneumonia or other respiratory issues.
garnetgal
on 10/22/12 1:28 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
Definantly sf popsicles, sf jello, sf pudding, broth. Not sure what your plan says for when you come home... are you on liquids or full liquids? Check your plan as you may be able to have creamed soups (I did well with Cream of Chicken and Cream of Potato). However, on the soups don't stock up to much as a can of soup will last you several meals!!! You may also be able to have thinned oatmeal or cream of wheat, unsweetened applesauce, mashed potatoes. With the mashed potatoes I added a little powdered milk and unflavored protein powder to help get my protein in. Also, you may want some Crystal Light, Powerade Zero, of the Vitamin Waters to drink.

Personally, I was able to sleep in my bed from the night I got home, no recliner for me! So, that does vary from person to person!

J. Myers
on 10/22/12 1:42 pm - PA
 hey im n the nesting stage too. WE SHARE THE SAME SURGERY DATE!!!!!! Im pretty sure nithing n my house can b out of place since ive been cleaning since my approval letter came lol. I know walmart is tired of seeing me i have 4 flavors of protein, broth, popsicles, tons of jello, 4 cases of water, cream soups, a strainer for the soups, baby bowls n spoons,pudding, blender bottles, crystal light, and a lot of books to read. U know i might have iver done it but i dont plan on seeing walmart fir at least the first 3 weeks after surgery. Hope everything works out well for you keep me posted post op GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 452 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 410 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404