Foamies?

kirk6400
on 10/25/12 4:00 am - Watauga, TX
RNY on 09/06/12
What causes the foamies? Is there anything to relieve that feeling that you have to burp ....I feel a discomfort in the sternum area and the feeling I have to burp. I might burp while this is going on, but burping doesn't relieve the discomfort. It's only after I throw up this foamy crud stuff does the feeling that I have to burp and that pressure feeling in my sternum goes away.

So what exactly are the foamies, what causes them and is there anything to do to get relief other than throwing up?

HW...265....SW...260....CW....229....RNY on 9/06/12

Cindyagogo
on 10/25/12 4:16 am
RNY on 02/21/12
I get the foamies when i eat too fast or eat too much. The only consistent relief i get is from throwing up.  Sometimes walking it off helps, sometimes walking with my arms up over my head does especially if there is a little gas involved.  Some people here have suggested taking papaya enzymes to help the digestion process. I haven't had much success with those.
Mike R.
on 10/25/12 5:11 am - Warner Robins, GA
Our mouths are too big for our pouches now.  Eating too fast or not chewing until mush can cause food to get impacted in the stoma (outlet of your pouch).  Some have gotten relief with Gax-X but I never did.  I either had to hold my arms above my head while standing or upchuck to get relief.  But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Early on post-op your pouch is more sensitive and the stoma can plug more easily.  Over time your pouch will heal more and become less sensitive.  However, even at 3+ yrs post-op I will on occasion eat too fast or not chew as well as I should (maybe once every 3 months) and have the foamies.

Good luck!

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

doloresd
on 10/25/12 6:24 am - FL
I get them from horseradish,  Love it, can't eat it anymore.
Hillhanna16
on 10/27/12 12:02 pm - ME

Definetely had it last night.  Worse case of foamies I ever had.  Horrible.  I ate to fast and boy did it give me the foamies.  Chew slow and meal  should take 30 min

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 464 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 379 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 312 views