Post Workout Nutrition

dasie
on 10/25/12 7:15 pm

I posted this on the Lightweights Board. 

I was on ObesityHelp looking for suggestions for pre workout energy foods and came across this article posted by a mmember in 2006.  In all the years I've had a gym membership, I now realize I knew absolutely nothing regarding post workout nutrition and how it impacts our bodies.  This article may be a starting point of reference if you're like I am needing to learn how to replenish energy/muscles post work out.  If nothing else it help tailor your needs with your current nutritional plan.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm

JanBooth
on 10/25/12 8:40 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Last night was my first Weight Management group meeting.  It was about staying motivated with exercise and nutrition.  There were two personal trainers, who also work at a gym, that talked about this.  Someone asked when was the best time to drink a protein shake?  Was it prior to, or after a work out.  They both agreed that within 30 minutes AFTER a workout is when your body would benefit the greatest from the protein.  After the workout, your muscles are craving nutrition and will take in the protein for use.  Interesting and very beneficial meeting! As is this article.  Thanks for sharing!
Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

dasie
on 10/26/12 1:08 am

Thanks Janet...I appreciate the confirmation.  That is what the article said.  In all my years I have never paid attention to  post workout nutrition.  There is a member who posted several years ago she always ate a portion of a protein bar post workout.  I thought it was just part of her plan.  She was a dedicated trainer and now realize it was to help replenish her muscles. 

Did the trainers say much about pre workout energy foods?  A couple years ago OH ran an article that talked about eatng oatmeal/banana pre workout.  That same thread where I got that article  there was a poster who mentioned eating oatmeal pre workout.  I think that is what I'm going to do today. 

I have recommitted going back to the gym as I had a few pounds bounceback.  I've had more bounceback than this in the past, but for some reason this time when I began trying on my winter pants I've not worn since last year  I now have clothes I cannot wear.  This is the first tme this has happened to me 3 years post op and gave me the biggest wakeup call.  I refuse to go up a size.  This is all my fault for eating sweets and carbs again. 

Amy Smith
on 10/26/12 1:53 am

At the OH event in October Jeremy (Ex. Phys.) talked about the need for nutrition pre and post nutrition and how it is harder for us with less room.  I have started running 12 marathons and have noticed that I am REALLY nauseous around mile 4.  He recommended upping my complex carb a few hours before I run, etc.  IT WORKED!  For example, I eat some oatmeal about and hour and a 1/2 before I run.  Then a 1/2 hour before I run I have peanut butter with a banana.  This seems to be working.  He used to work for OH and is very informative about this kind of stuff. He also recommended using water down gatorade throughout long workout periods to replenish as you go along bc we do not have the capacity to just fill up when we are done! 

Just some things to think about.  I am really concerned about increasing carbs, becasue I am afraid that is a slippry slope for me, but I am already nauseous most of the time, but I can not handle the green feeling while running! :-)

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

dasie
on 10/26/12 2:24 am

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Your suggestions are excellent, and today I had decided to eat oatmeal prior to going to the gym.  I was not certain how far in advance I needed to do that.  Like you said, carbs are the one thing about the article that concerned me.  I see we had surgery the same year, and until recently I've maintained fairly well.  Then I went about a month and a half of being completely sedentary due to my husband's work schedule.  I bounced up a few pounds, but less than other bounceups.  Then Monday night I took out some pants to try on that I wear in cooler weather and found they did not fit...I was in total shock.  One pair is actually the one I wear in my avatar photo.  My scale only moved a few pounds, but the lack of movement, combined with my sloppy eating caused me to have weight redistribution. 

I generally walk for exercise, but I am once again going to the gym.  I have found I simply don't have the energy in order to get a decent workout.  I'm definitely going to take your advice.

By the way...Congratulations on running marathons.  That is awesome.  I commented this morning on one of Nik's posts that is one of my  goals I have yet to realize...being able to run for longer than 1/4 mile.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 483 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 185 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 327 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?