Caffeine?

anewbeginning2012
on 10/26/12 1:02 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I am almost a month post op. I have not drank any caffeine so far, but today I am soooo tired, I feel like I want coffee. Will it make me sick, or will it be fine to drink a cup? 

Kris        
justinplex
on 10/26/12 1:13 am - Kilgore, TX

this is from an article about caffine and bypass patients

'

What About Caffeine?

According to Scott J. Belsley, M.D., a board-certified surgeon and robotic surgery researcher, you should be cautious in drinking caffeine -- whether in coffee or other beverages -- following weight-loss surgeries. Caffeine is the subject of a lot of research, much of which is contradictory. Caffeine is known to increase stomach acid, causing indigestion and possibly leading to an ulcer. Even decaffeinated coffee can upset your stomach. Some studies suggests coffee increases your risk for a gastrointestinal bacterial infection called H pylori, as well as acid reflux, but the research has been inconclusive. Caffeine is a known diuretic that may slow healing. You need to control fluid intake and output after your surgery, according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, which recommends waiting a bit after surgery before adding coffee or caffeinated beverages to your diet.

Justin T. Johnson                            
anewbeginning2012
on 10/26/12 1:20 am, edited 10/26/12 1:21 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I think I will just take a walk around the building to wake up  Thanks for the article Justin. I was thinking that was the reason we shouldn't drink the stuff. It does make sense. I will continue to be caffeine free.

Kris        
TXKashmir
on 10/26/12 1:18 am - Grand Prairie, TX

Just like everything else - your results will vary. Therefore, I highly suggest you test it out at home first rather than taking a chance at work. Good luck to you!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

justinplex
on 10/26/12 1:22 am - Kilgore, TX

decaf coffee and tea seem to do the job for me though, and have caused no problems so far

Justin T. Johnson                            
anewbeginning2012
on 10/26/12 1:25 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I will try the same- I haven't had any problems with anything else so far...i am a luck one :)

Kris        
Michelle G.
on 10/26/12 4:27 am - OH
RNY on 10/17/12

My doctor doesn't even allow decaf coffee and tea for the the nine months! Decaf still has some caffeine and caffeine is a diuretic so they are off the menu. I miss my coffee soooo much!

Michelle

HW : 350       GW: 150          CW: 190

artroxy blue
on 10/26/12 3:51 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

Just as other mentioned, you'll have to try to see if it bothers you. I don't have a problem with one cup of coffee, but then I switch to decaf for the rest of the day. Iced coffee was a blessing when I was having a hard time getting plain water in. 

lumina99
on 10/26/12 1:47 pm - ME
Coffee dehydrates you! That's not what you're aiming for. Be strong & may the force be with you! Lol.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 262 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics