Vitalady Tender Iron... which one is "better"?

Jennifer D.
on 11/1/12 1:54 am - Wareham, MA
RNY on 06/15/12

The one with Asorbic acid or calcium?

Thanks all :)

(Just got my labs and they asked me to start taking iron.... I know that this is the way to go but wasn't prepared for 2 choices...)

Band #1... 2006 Band #2 (revision) 2008 RNY 6/15/12 (revision).    Third time is the charm!  7/30/13 BL/TT/Thigh Lipo.  THE END!!!

cajungirl
on 11/1/12 2:08 am

Jennifer, I had to go look at the packaging.  The two Tender Irons she has are somewhat the same ingredients.  The difference is the amount of absorbable iron  (25 mg vs. 60) and the Tender Iron 60 mg has Vitamin C IN it so you don't need to take additional vitamin C for better absorption.

I personally prefer the Tender WITH Vitamin C.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

artroxy blue
on 11/1/12 2:52 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

Don't take iron with calcium--period. It doesn't matter what form they are--they just don't play well together. ;)

I'm taking 2 Tender Iron 62mg with 400mg Vitamin C/day because my iron has been going down since surgery. How are your iron levels? 

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/12 3:53 am

That's good advice for most irons; however, heme-iron (Proferrin) is perfectly okay to take with calcium. I take it as I didn't absorb carbonyl or ferrous sulfate well, even as a pre-op.

Michele

artroxy blue
on 11/1/12 6:55 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

Good to know! Thanks! :)

poet_kelly
on 11/1/12 8:50 am - OH

I think you're referring to the 25 mg iron that has a small amount of di-calcium phosphate in it.  Di-calcium phosphate is often used in vitamins and medications as a binding agent.  It holds the pill together.  It's not a good source of calcium and there is only a small amount in the 25 mg Tender iron - 59 mg di-calcium phosphate per tablet.  That's not enough calcium to interfere with iron absorption.  You need 200-300 mg calcium to block to absorption of iron.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404