Back on Track - What to eat????

Joy L.
on 11/4/12 1:52 am - Lawrenceville, GA

What to eat?  I have been back on track for nearly a month now and have lost some of my regained weight.  I have pretty much lived on turkey, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, non-fat yogurt, etc. and am at the point where I can't stand the thought of eating another chicken breast.  Even though surgery was over 4 years ago, I swear my tastes have changed in the past month.  I am very aware of texture and if it is remotely "slimy" I just can't stomach it (i.e., packaged turkey breast).  I also find that pork has some kind of nasty aftertaste that literally nauseates me. 

Any idea's out there on suggestions of what to eat that is very low carb but tasty?

Joyful                             
RNY - 6/3/08 
Start-328.8  Now 239 Goal 165

Kat Kat
on 11/4/12 2:02 am - AZ

The other evening I had a cheese burger in a lettuce wrap instead of on a bun at Red Robin. It was awesome, so I think I'll start making them at home. You might enjoy that too. I also like a Filet Mignon (because it's tender) with a few diced and caramelized onions on top.

Kat

JenK130
on 11/4/12 2:02 am
RNY on 01/30/12

I do best with meat that has been made in the crockpot.  I love making chicken in the crockpot and then making a chicken salad out of it.  Everything just seems less dry when slow cooked.

RNY 1/30/12  

Dee.spunk
on 11/4/12 4:02 am - Sacramento, CA
Steak is my friend! Love it! I use to hate red meat, but I really enjoy it now. And like the above poster said, anything in the crock pot is yummy. I put pork in it with some spices and mmm-mmm! Taste good!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

datorres
on 11/4/12 4:21 am

Good Job for getting back on track! Don't let that de-rail you. have you tried ham? I love those little ham steaks and they have about  grams of protein for 1. I have huge texture issues too and it can be hard at times. Maybe you should carry some protein bars with you for when that happens you still have a decent choice and don't get off track.

BugdocMom
on 11/4/12 5:25 am - CA

I cannot stand the slimy texture of lunch meats either. Recently, I found a minimally processed deli turkey meat at the deli counter, Kretschmar Turkey Off the Bone. They have some other "off the bone" meats made by the same brand, but I haven't tried them. I swear, the turkey is just like it is carved from the breast on Thanksgiving, except it is moist,not dry like I make it;) I also like shrimp, pot roast from the crock pot settles really well and grilled premium cut steaks. This crock pot jambalaya recipe is also really easy to make and divvy up into individual servings:

Ingredients

• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/2 pound andouille sausage (I just use reduced fat hillshire farms regular sausage), diced
  • 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 pound frozen peeled and cooked shrimp, thawed
  • 2 cups cooked rice

Directions

In a slow cooker, combine chicken, sausage, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery, and chicken broth. Stir in oregano, Cajun seasoning, hot sauce, bay leaves, and thyme.

Cover, and cook on LOW for 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours. Stir in the thawed shrimp, cover and coo****il the shrimp is heated through, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves and spoon mixture over cooked rice. (I eat it without the rice-and just a little broth- but serve it with rice for the rest of the family)

Kat Kat
on 11/4/12 4:38 pm - AZ

This recipe sounds great. I'm glad you posted it...thanks!

Kat

BugdocMom
on 11/4/12 5:28 am - CA

Oh, I meant to tell you... I put about 1 1/2 to 2 oz of the turkey slices on top of a 1 oz slice of swiss cheese then fold it in half and eat it like a breadless sandwich. I really like it. It would be pretty good with banana peppers, too. Or wrapped in lettuce.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 260 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics