Any benefits of RNY over sleeve?

Jennifk
on 11/4/12 9:41 am - Fort Worth, TX
RNY on 12/05/12

Hi there. I've been going back and forth in my head for RNY vs. sleeve.  I've been reading posts and some good points were made on why the sleeve is better than RNY.  I'd like to hear if there are any reasons why the RNY is better than the sleeve?

Thank you so much for your input!!!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
gek9742000
on 11/4/12 9:47 am
RNY on 10/29/12

The only reason I chose the rny over the sleeve was because of the malabsorption.  I felt I would benefit more from dumping syndrome and malabsorption because I am a sugaraholic. 

250 day of surgery 
150 current weight
135 goal weight

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/4/12 9:48 am - OH
Faster weight loss is the primary one. Some people think that the threat of dumping helps keep them from eating sweets (but only 30% of people actually dump). There is apparently also a higher rate remission of diabetes with RNY.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

shastadaisy68
on 11/4/12 10:52 am
On November 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:
Faster weight loss is the primary one. Some people think that the threat of dumping helps keep them from eating sweets (but only 30% of people actually dump). There is apparently also a higher rate remission of diabetes with RNY.

Lora

Can you share where you got this info?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/4/12 11:28 am, edited 11/4/12 11:31 am - OH

Which part?

This study covers diabetes resolution but also mentions weight loss:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/f135104x27461498/fulltex t.pdf

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

richarddavis196
on 11/4/12 9:50 am - VA

The biggest that I remember was the reduction/curing effects of diabetes for the RNY. I am off 4 BP pills, tryglicerides and cholesterol medication.

Also, I liked the possibility of dumping to keep my mind on track. Plus the RNY has a longer history to support follow-ups and such.

Good luck!

Mendie Thompson
on 11/4/12 9:50 am - TX
RNY on 09/24/12

I am definitely not medically educated on any of the procedures, but I know for me, my insurance doesn't cover sleeve (yet anyway).  But even if it did, in my head, the sleeve is just too new of a process for my comfort.  I would have been afraid that 10 yrs down the road, I'd be facing some serious issues that would just being learned, and once your stomach is out, it's just out...gone...absolutely NO turning back.  Maybe that's just paranoia in my brain, but that would have done it for me.

Bcast4
on 11/4/12 10:12 am
Bcast4
on 11/4/12 10:16 am
If u already have reflux my doc says sleeve will make it worse. I was checking into that one too, because u can still take NSAIDs with the sleeve, but not with RNY. I still haven't got approved fo a revision from the band, but I'm pretty sure they will approve it.
StephWantsToSki
on 11/4/12 11:26 am - CO
RNY on 09/28/12 with

I have had both and the RNY was by far the easier recovery.  The sleeve caused me to have pretty severe acid reflux.  Even after a year with it, I had to avoid spicy food and I couldn't eat before being horizontal.

“Seldom do well behaved women make history? 
Photography interests:  www.peculiarfocus.com
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views