The pros of vomiting post-op!

Amy D.
on 11/4/12 12:07 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

So I woke up at 6 this morning with the overwhelming need to vomit. I ran to the bathroom and dry heaved over the sink. Naturally nothing came up because, well, I hadn't eaten or drank for hours. An hour or so later, I was back at it again after a couple of sips of water. Fun stuff, let me tell you. And yes, this is my first puking experience post-op. I know I'm lucky!

Okay, the pros. I could puke at the sink instead of hunched over the toilet. Even if there is something in my pouch, there won't be much so I can do it in the relatively comfortable position of leaning over the sink. A con to that is the mirror but we'll ignore that. Another pro--no stomach acid! No burning in my esophagus and nasty acid taste. That was nice. Esp since it was all dry heaving anyway and nothing but acid would have come out if my stomach were normal.

The whole thing really felt weird. I don't wish to repeat it any time soon. I've had my protein shake and a cup of coffee so far since then and I haven't had to heave again. I'm hoping it was just an anomaly that has passed.

I know you're all so glad that I shared this. Especially given that I haven't asked a question or really stated any purpose in my post. I'm just in a sharing mood. You're welcome!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Dee.spunk
on 11/4/12 12:16 am - Sacramento, CA
The first time I "threw up" it was the same thing. Dry heaving and nothing came out. Felt awful! But I was surprised at the lack of acid. I would say that's a pro cause I used to hate that. Luckily it's only happened a couple of times to me.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Amy D.
on 11/4/12 12:43 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

Here's to no more puking for either of us!

Michelle G.
on 11/4/12 12:40 am
RNY on 08/15/12

I have had to vomit when I've eaten too much/too fast and gotten saliva or water or whatever to come back up.  I must say I was very surprised that it tasted the same coming back up as it did going down!  In fact, when I threw up the water - it was still cold!!  :)

Now, aren't you glad *I* shared?!?!?!  You're welcome!!

Amy D.
on 11/4/12 12:42 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

Yes I am!

I think puking up still cold water would be kinda cool. I mean weird but cool.

Maybe I'm the weird one.

Michelle G.
on 11/4/12 12:45 am
RNY on 08/15/12

It was DEFINITELY weird!  But yeah, kinda cool.  obviously it didn't stay in there very long before it came up!

I hate vomiting and hardly ever did pre-op.  I could make it through a sick stomach almost every time without puking.  But, since my rny I am still working on chewing enough and stopping at the right point and have puked WAY more than I would like.  I am SOOOO grateful for no stomach acid, though!  Makes it much more bearable!  As bearable as it can be, at least!

acrespin1
on 11/4/12 1:20 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I had my first, what I assumed to be, stomach bug a couple weeks ago. And honestly, it wasn't too bad. I know that sounds crazy, but before surgery me and my kids always got a stomach virus about twice a year. I'd puke for 12 hours or so, every 20-30 min, and be agonizingly sick, then it would take me a week or more to recover from the pain in my abdomen and chest. The "bug" I had 2 weeks ago, I "heaved" 3 times, and it was def more tolerable than the regular way of puking. Nothing came up, and although I was so nauseated, I was able to sleep some and woke up feeling like myself the next morning. No after affects at all. So if this is what a stomach bug will be for me from now on, not too bad. Still don't want another one though! lol

Amy D.
on 11/4/12 5:28 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

I'm glad your bug wasn't too awful. And yeah, I hope you don't get another one!

Dolores L.
on 11/4/12 5:11 am - FL
Revision on 08/14/12

Amy, do you have any idea why you felt so bad? Do you think you have/had a bug, ate something bad, or ate wrong yesterday? Just wondering, because so far, this has not happened to me.

Amy D.
on 11/4/12 5:31 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

Must have been a bug but since I've felt fine since this morning I really don't know. There's no reason to think it was bypass related seeing as how it had been several hours since I had eaten or drank anything. I guess if it happens again I'll worry but otherwise I'm just chalking it up to "one of those things." I ate the same things I always eat yesterday so that's no help. Hopefully it won't ever happen to you!

Oh, a friend did suggest pregnancy (shudder) but that's almost impossible so I'm not even entertaining that idea. All I know for sure is I don't want to puke again anytime soon, easier or not!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?