POST OP SUPPORT

Allen Y.
on 11/5/12 7:44 pm - Garland, TX

For those of you that are 1 month to years out, what kind of post op support does your surgeon offer? I did not really try to take advantage of much of what my doctor had until the last few months. In that time he offered numerous 'nutrition' offerings that centered mostly on being a advertising vehicle for Bariatric Advantage Vitamins. There was one Zumba Class, a clothing exchange, but nothing to deal with the mental changes you need to make to make this a long term success.

After all the surgery is on our gut and not on our brains. If we don't change our mindset we are likely to repeat our failures. What kind of fellowship and or life training does your surgeon offer if any?

LadyAnastacia
on 11/5/12 7:57 pm
RNY on 11/06/12

My surgeon has two support groups a month led by a clinical psychologist about the emotional issues surrounding WLS.  They always say if you don't get your head right, your body will never be right.

Silverbelle69
on 11/5/12 9:23 pm - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

My surgeon has free support group meetings about every 2 weeks, and they cover a variety of topics.  Most of the time the best part is not the presenter but the audience participation.

Dee.spunk
on 11/5/12 10:01 pm - Sacramento, CA
We have two support groups a month where the nutritionist is always there along with one of the surgeons. Sometimes they have guest speakers. But it's two hours away in the Bay Area so it's hard to go. I usually go to one closer to home, but it's led by volunteers, so I don't like it as much. Sometimes they are lost and don't have a topic for the day.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

MultiMom
on 11/5/12 11:09 pm - NH

My center also offers post-op support groups on a variety of topics. I have mentioned before that I didn't like it because of a group of know it alls that interrupted questions that were being asked with their answer without waiting to hear the entire question. This KIA group stood along one wall and I found them SO aggravating that I stopped going. On top of that, they didn't have the correct information half the time!! 

OH became my daily support group 

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

StephWantsToSki
on 11/6/12 11:39 pm - CO
RNY on 09/28/12 with

I went to a support group meeting for the first time this week and had a similar issue!!  I was so irritated by the know-it-alls, talk-over other peoples, and the constant side bar conversations when someone else was talking.  I am hoping it was a one time deal.  Otherwise, I will ask the facilitator if she could have a respect talk with the group.  I was so excited to find a support group and then so appalled at the behavior that I am disappointed.

“Seldom do well behaved women make history? 
Photography interests:  www.peculiarfocus.com
Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/6/12 1:25 am

I have never gone to my surgeon's support group because it is led by his nutritionist, who is not very knowledgeable, and it's over an hour away for me. Plus I would have to pay to park. So I found a group much closer to me and go to that.

And we talk about the head issues much more than the physical ones.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

cajungirl
on 11/6/12 2:51 am

Zero, my surgeon was an excellent cutter but not so great on post-op support.  The hospital I had surgery at had a support group that I attended a few times, it was almost an hr from home which made it difficult.  Most of my post-support came from OH and those I'd met in real life that had WLS.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views