Lots of NSVs (for new post-ops)

longhornrose
on 11/7/12 7:04 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

Seems there are a lot of us lately who are feeling discouraged about slow weight loss.  I know my weight loss is much slower than I'd like - only about 20 lbs, in almost two months - and I went through being very upset about that.  I'm starting to feel much better now, though, and here's why:

1.  My clothes are getting looser and looser.  I went to buy some clothes this weekend, to attend a friend's memorial service, and I am down one size.  I can't begin to express how good that feels; I haven't been this size in years and years!

2.  I spilled a whole box of scrapbook papers on the floor this morning.  And it was a BIG box!  At first, I thought, "Oh, no!  How will I ever get all that picked up???"  But I bent down and started gathering it all up, and it was easy!  Could absolutely not believe how easy it was!

3.  I'm beginning to have more energy.  Don't get worn out so easily. 

4.  I can go to the mall, or the grocery store, and whiz around like I did when I was much younger and weighed much, much less than I do now.  For awhile (when I got over 300 lbs.), it was a struggle to walk into the grocery store, much less get through grocery shopping with energy to spare.

5.  My aches and pains (mostly from arthritis) are much, much less; in fact, the only place I've been feeling it much is in my knees.  That's another biggie for me.

6.  I'm standing up straighter; my posture is better.  I like it when I go into the bathroom and see my profile in the mirror.  I'm still big - no doubt about that - but I look TONS better than I did a few months ago.

I guess I could go on and on, but you get the drift.  I've lost ONLY 20 lbs, but - there seems to be a major benefit for every one of those pounds.  And I'm liking that, more than I can say.  I feel like I finally have a fighting chance of getting to a better place physically, mentally, emotionally.  I'm 61, and had finally just about given up on my life; I'd come to the conclusion that it was done and over with, and that I'd probably be gone sooner rather than later.  At that point, I started looking at WLS as a last resort.  Even though I was scared sh**less about having this surgery, and so afraid of making my life even worse than it was already, I finally decided I didn't have anything to lose, and just went with it.  My surgery was pretty much trouble-free, pain-free, and except for my struggles learning how to get enough protein, fluids, and vitamins in, I have no complaints at all.  As I've read hundreds of times on OH, "I'd do it again in a heartbeat!"

So keep your chin up.  Every time you start to feel down and out because the scale isn't moving as fast as you'd like, take a minute to think about the good things that are happening to your body, and I'm pretty sure you can find more of those than you realize.  And maybe it'll help to realize that we can't turn back.  We can only go forward.  I don't know about you, but even if I wanted to go pig out on all my past favorite foods (which I don't), I couldn't do it!  My body wouldn't let me.  So it's pretty futile to be thinking about "giving up". 

Wishing each and every one of you newbies the very best in this journey!

Beth    

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Kay1975
on 11/7/12 7:40 am - PA

My weight loss is slow too.  but......

1) I can walk around the block and not hurt half as much.

2) I can lift my leg and put my foot on my lap to put my sock on.

3) I can pull the seat up in my truck now and not have the steering wheel up all the way.

4) I can take a shower and not have to REACH for everything.. LOL

5) I sleep better

6) I am now in a 3x shirt.  ( was a 5x)

7) I can go shopping and not have to sit down for a minute...

OMG.. the list is ongoing.  I am so happy.  Even tho my weight doesnt come off like I thouhgt it would, I couldnt be happier now.

IT DOES GET EASIER.  LIFE IS GOOD.  GOD IS BLESSING ME EVERY DAY WITH RESULTS.  

Kay Kay

longhornrose
on 11/7/12 12:50 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

So happy to hear all these NSV's!  Isn't it wonderful?  Glad you're finding life is good! 

Beth

Friendlybyte
on 11/7/12 8:21 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

Awesome!!  You can't just look at the numbers on the scale... You have reminded me of all the other things to be thankful for!!  Thanks for posting!!

longhornrose
on 11/7/12 12:47 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

Thanks for the kudos, and you're welcome!  mail

Beth

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 11/7/12 9:10 am
RNY on 09/17/12

Right on Rose!!!  I get discouraged sometimes because I had this ideal in my head that I'd lose 20lbs a month but that hasn't happened.  What has happened is:

No more sleep apnea/snoring...which in turn makes me sleep better at night and be more rested

My feet no longer hurt

My lower back no longer hurts

I was wearing a 3x shirt and now am in a XL/16-18

I had to buy smaller jeans....that actually fit

I, too, no longer have to contort myself to reach certain parts of my body lol

I could go on.  Sometimes it's the smaller things that make the biggest difference.  You're doing awesome!!!

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

longhornrose
on 11/7/12 12:46 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

Isn't it fun to take a minute and think about all the good things that are happening, besides just weight loss?  Makes me happy, happy, happy!

We're going to do it, Shannon; no doubt about that at all! 

Beth

gardeninggal
on 11/7/12 11:10 am, edited 11/7/12 11:11 am - Midland, Canada

Rose you are a blessing!

I have had to struggle as well with what I thought was a slow weight loss.  Maybe my expectations were/are way off but nevertheless I was discouraged, disappointed and let down it seemed.  I can agree with you point by point on your list of how feeling much better is so great:)  

Nancy

longhornrose
on 11/7/12 12:44 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

Thanks, my friend!  Glad if my words helped you. 

Beth

KimKinVA
on 11/7/12 11:27 am
RNY on 11/13/12 with

Thank you so much for giving me some really positive things to look forward to. I'm terrified that I'm not going to lose weight or that the weight loss will be slower than I want. I have so much to lose. :-( My surgery is next Tuesday the 13th. I'm excited, scared, nervous, starving, anxious, and ready to start my journey. Your words are very encouraging and I will keep them in mind. -Kim

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404