Buyer Beware - I feel duped by Dunkin Donuts

Kat Kat
on 11/12/12 4:52 am, edited 11/12/12 4:57 am - AZ

A few months ago I stopped in at Dunkin Donuts for a cup of coffee. They had hot Pumpkin on the menu, so I asked the attendant if it had any sugar in it, and was told no. After my first sip I found it, so delicious that I bought a bag to brew at home. Since then I’ve had about 4 more cups from the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru. I’ve made several at home, but no matter what I try, I can never get my home brewed coffee to come out quite as bold, and robust as the kind I buy already made. Today I was off on a holiday from work, so I decided to do something a little different. I went to Dunkin Donuts, and went inside this time. I bought large cup of hot Pumpkin coffee, and watched it being made. This time I noticed that the attendant poured something in it. I thought it was strange, but figured it wasn’t any big deal because I’d had it before, and perhaps she was making a mistake that I’d taste soon enough. It seemed okay, so I didn’t dwell on it. About a half hour later I stopped for a few minutes, and decide to Google Dunkin Donuts Nutrition. OMG!!! The stats were horrid, and I was so LUCKY that being a dumper I didn’t. Obviously what is in the home brew is very different than what you buy in the store already made. It just shows you we always need to be aware of what is marketed to us.

Pumpkin Coffee with Cream Large

330 Cals

12  Fat

49 Carbs

45 Sugar

6 Protein 

INGREDIENTS: Brewed 100% Arabica Coffee, Pumpkin Spice Flavored Swirl Syrup [Skim Milk, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Brown Sugar, Caramel Color, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Salt], Light Cream [Milk, Cream, Disodium Phosphate (Stabilizer), Sodium Citrate (Stabilizer)].

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Kat

MultiMom
on 11/12/12 5:01 am - NH

45 sugar?!?!?! Yikes! AND 330 calories!!

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Kat Kat
on 11/12/12 5:09 am, edited 11/12/12 5:11 am - AZ

I know, I almost fainted!!!!   I can't believe I was told it had no sugar the first time. I really dodged a bullet by not dumping. It explains now why I was so lethargic 2 of the times. At the time I was thinking it was from burning the candle at both ends.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/12/12 5:06 am - OH

Holy cow!!!  I'm not a coffee drinker, but know several people who stop there frequently who will definitely want to know this!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kat Kat
on 11/12/12 5:20 am - AZ

Yes, definitely pass it on to anyone who might be as unsuspecting as I was. I really  want to make sure that no one else is blindsided. Since I had surgery I have never, ever added one grain of table sugar or a drop of corn syrup to anything I've eaten, or drank. This is really upsetting to me.

Wendi S.
on 11/12/12 5:30 am
RNY on 04/02/12

Have you contacted the manager? They obviously are not training their staff if the staff is telling you its sugar free. What if they tell a diabetic that its sugar free??? My goodness, that is so dangerous! I'm glad you are ok.

Kat Kat
on 11/12/12 1:19 pm - AZ

No, I'll call the corporate office tomorrow.

Friendlybyte
on 11/12/12 5:30 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

Wow so good to know!!  I am always afraid to try fancy coffees when I go out because even when I ask I don't trust them!!  I have returned coffees because I could taste sugar!! Thanks for posting!

Carol S.
on 11/12/12 6:12 am - Milwaukee, WI

My biggest complaint?  It has High Fructose Corn Syrup!  That is nasty.  I mean that they didn't know how much sugar was in it is bad enough-but HFCS?  Blech.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Denise B.
on 11/12/12 7:16 am - Binghamton, NY
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views