Survived my first intestinal blockage (self diagnosed)

Chihuahuan
on 11/17/12 8:40 am - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12

Wow!  That was just awful.   I have been adding Fiber One Original  and Almonds back into my diet and I haven't had any troubles.   Last night I must not have drank enough water after or something because at about 1:30 am (of course these things can't happen in normal weekday and business hours) I started getting stomach pain and dry heaves.  I thought I must just have made my pouchy grouchy and breathed through it since nothing was coming up.   It started hitting in waves at about 1/2 hour increments and I started having a lot of gas passage out the exit.  At my 2:30 am vomiting I started vomiting bile.   Well, I have my gall bladder removed already as some of you know, so that means that it had to be backing up from way down at the Jejuno-Jenjunostomy.   So I went to the trusty internet, LOL, and see that  eating/drinking nothing by mouth and IV hydration is the primary treatment to begin with.  I knew I wasn't dehydrated yet at this point so figured I would wait it out and see if nature would resolve it.  *** DISCLAIMER*** NOW keep in mind I haven't had any problems and if I had been having any problems before last night, I would have just gone to Urgent Care, but since I had been fine I figured I could wait a bit. I don't recommend waiting for anyone else.  

Anyway, I continued with the bile business about every 1/2 hour until about 8 am this morning,  Then I could actually feel the mass of food start working its way on through.  It seemed to start with hiccups, which I had not thought about but I don't think I have had a hiccup since right after surgery which was 6 months ago.  It seemed to be my intestines coming back to life or something.  I stayed in bed and rested and by 2 PM I am back to normal.  

I have a whole new respect for those of you who have had these blockages.  Nothing I ever want to experience again.

I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!!

Mark

acochran
on 11/17/12 9:19 am - GA

Yikes! Glad that you are feeling better!

MissK123456789
on 11/17/12 9:28 am - PA

Glad you didn't end up in the ER.  After reading your description, I've probably survived a few bouts of my own.  This is why I am fanatical about stool softener and my probiotics!  Feel better!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 107 views
Recent Topics