When does food start to taste normal again?

kirk6400
on 11/18/12 4:11 am - Watauga, TX
RNY on 09/06/12

Dec 6 will be my 3 mo anniversary. I'm still finding most foods unappealing. Nothing tastes like it used to. Mexican food used to be my favorite and I could literally eat it everyday. Now, the seasonings just turn my stomach as do most other foods. Peanut butter is about the only thing that is tolerable but I can't eat that every meal. I force myself to eat because I know I need to but how long will the taste senses be affected? Do they always return to normal at some point? Are there some of you that things never taste the same anymore?

HW...265....SW...260....CW....229....RNY on 9/06/12

Dee.spunk
on 11/18/12 4:44 am - Sacramento, CA
It took about two months before I could Taste things. Finally I was able to eat without it all tasting like top ramen. But even then I had to constantly change what I was eating cause things would start to taste gross. Give it time, try different things. You'll find something you'll like. I went to trader joes and bought all sorts of protien rich stuff to see what it was that I liked. It took time.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Emmernellie
on 11/18/12 7:12 am - McKenzie, TN
RNY on 06/11/12

I am five months out and still nothing tastes the same.  Does the joy associated with eating ever return?

slrm2m2
on 11/18/12 7:30 am - Canada

I am 10 months out today and I can say that around 6 months my tastebuds really improved and things started to taste good again.  What isn't the same is my appetitie or drive to eat.  It is still different, although I now have a "hungry" feeling that I recognize as a need for food but is still different than before surgery.  I would say that I can enjoy eating now, but I do not take the same joy in eating as I did before surgery.  Something seems permanently different about my relationship to food.  I'm guessing that this is maybe why the surgery works so well in the long run?

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 524 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics