Vent: Around and around we go...

Lisa_K
on 11/24/12 12:43 am - OH

At 14 weeks post op, the list of protein foods I can eat without discomfort is still very limited.  I'm surprised and disappointed. Alarmingly, only one time on 14 weeks have I met the daily goal of protein and fluids. 

If I can gag down one or two protein shakes per day, by day three I am so constipated ( while using miralax daily) I can't eat or drink anything until I take drastic measures for relief.   I still can't take a normal sized drink without feeling like I swallowed a tennis ball, which is making it difficult to get in my fluids and I'm sure it is contributing to the constipation and slow weight loss. 

Slow cooked ground beef goes down without discomfort. But I'm getting very tired of Wendy's style chili.   No go on chicken or turkey of any kind no matter how it is prepared.  Fish canned or otherwise is not working either.  Small amounts of ham is tolerated but the sodium makes it a problem for everyday consumption.  Cheese or eggs have been and issue since  day one and I'm so burned out on yogurt the thought of eating it makes me gag. Tofu is the next frontier in experimentation.

My energy level has tanked and truthfully my spirit is waning.  I'm tired of the failed experiments in nourishment, the pain and nausea, the uncertainty, the wastefulness and worrying about food and drink.  This is not the way it's supposed to be.  I expected struggles but this level of problems was way more than I could have prepared for.  At my last visit to the Dr,  he seemed unconcerned and the NUT just gave me suggestions that I have already tried after doing my own research.  She has proven to be kinda useless when it comes to challenges.  She's more of a cheerleader than a problem solver. 

dawnie55
on 11/24/12 2:31 am - Garden Grove, CA

myself i dont like Wendy's Chili ...I like Del Taco Bean n Cheese cup that works for me

im still constipated  i was like that b4 my RNY  ..didnt get better i know its hard .....I have heard that in time it will get better

And im still trying to get in all my Protein and my Fluids......

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 11/24/12 2:48 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

I bet you've lost a lot of weight!

Have you tried making gravy or stroganoff sauce with plain Fage yogurt instead of sour cream? If the only meat you tolerate is ground beef, you could add flavor enhancers like Better Than Bouillon and spices, and stir in a big dollop of yogurt. It makes a nice creamy sauce. 

My dietician wasn't much help, either. I had hoped for new info but I think I've done more research than she has.

La Pouchette also enacts the melodramatic "You made me eat a tennis ball!" scene with plain water. I still have to thicken it with lots of powdered drink mix or make actual (caffeine free) tea or coffee with cream.

Here's hoping your pouch and small intestines mellow out soon! Sorry you're having a hard time. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 245 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics