Almost 2 weeks post-op...desperately need your help!

dene527
on 11/25/12 7:02 am - NC

Hi all.  I had my RNY on 11/14.  I did well with my week of clear liquids, and moved on to full liquids last Thursday. I've tried three different protein shakes, and I gag through all of them.  I cannot get them down.  I become nauseated just thinking about them.  I am so disappointed in myself.  I want to work my doctor's plan for me, I want to do this right.  Outside of the shakes, really NOTHING appeals to me. I'm tired of SF Jello and really can only get in a very small amount at a time anyways.  Tried strained cream of potato, and even that wasn't all that appealing.

I'm just ready to cry. I'm keeping up on my fluids, lots of water, Crystal Light, and Cranberry Juice. But I don't know where to go next.  The therapist that I saw pre-op (and loved) can't get me in till December 12.  I know I need to talk things out with her as well.  My family is so supportive, so I'm grateful for that.  But I don't know what to do about the protein issues.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks so much in advance!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/25/12 7:16 am - OH
Have you tried the fruit flavored Syntrax nectar protein powder or the protein waters (I like Cytomax, but some people use the Isopure that i thought were completely disgusting) rather than milky shakes? Some people have much better luck with those early out.

You could also try the Unjury chicken soup protein powder or some of the RTD protein shakes like Muscle Milk Light or the Oh Yeah brand.

It will get better when you can have something other than liquids. At least then you can hide unflavored protein powder in other things (yogurt, SF pudding, mashed potatoes, etc.). You could do that now and add it to soup, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Candy V.
on 11/25/12 7:21 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

You are on full liquids now, are you allowed yogurt?  Dannon Greek light and fit is good.  The vanilla has no chunks in it.  It has 12gms of protein per container.  You can get unflavored protein powder and add extra into yogurt and soups.  I use the Unjury brand of unflavored. 

Syntrax nectar makes a lemon tea flavored protein drink that I like. Make it in a shaker cup then add ice.  Does not seem like a shake, just a beverage.   Here is a way to buy samples

Syntrax Nectar - 13 ct sample pack direct from the company is now $14.00 no shipping. Just call them at 866-333-7403. There is an option on the phone for bariatric.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Lori P.
on 11/25/12 7:34 am - Kenosha, WI

I never found a protein drink I liked...they all tasted horrible and nothing I did to them improved the flavor.  To get them down, I would mix in as little water as possible and drink as fast as I could....kind of like taking medicine.   As soon as I could get in enough food to meet my protein goals....I ditched the protein powder.   

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

babs_02
on 11/25/12 9:05 am - NY

I like Syntrax nectar chocolate truffle protein powder. Vitamin shop has it and also the trial size packets. It does not have a protein taste. My sons are body builders and they love it too. It's a little more pricey than a Walmart version protein powder but to me it's worth it. Tastes like a chocolate shake. I add one tablespoon of Hersheys dark cocoa which has no sugar in it and it is delicious.  You should be able to have sf puddings and add some protein to those to get more and also plain greek yogurt with added protein powder. I bought Unjury plain protein powder that I add to just about anything to boost the protein level up. Unjury chichen soup is good too. I could have low fat cottage cheese,unsweetened applesauce mashed potato that is made thin, oatmeal, cream of wheat, or grits all made thin and I added protein powder to them too.

Jilly Bean
on 11/25/12 9:29 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

Keep focusing on your fluids.  The rest will come.  Promise.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

65rosesmom
on 11/25/12 10:02 am

I am not a fan of the shakes either.  The thing I did to make them most palatable....add decaf coffee and mix it with lots of ice in the blender.   I used vanilla powder, coffee, ice and some of the Torani sugar free syrups to make a frappacino type drink.   It was the only way I could stomach the shake.    Now that its winter, I add vanilla protein powder to hot decaf coffee -- add in SF hazelnut or kalua syrup and its yummy!!  I've thought about doing it with sugar free hot chocolate as well.  Coffee is my go to, you need to find yours.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

raptor62
on 11/25/12 10:27 am - IL
RNY on 07/27/12

It will get better!  I am 4 months post-op and feel great!

Kevin

Funmomof 4
on 11/25/12 10:59 am - Mechanicsburg, PA

Try the site "the world according to eggface". Her blog is great! She has many many protein shake receives that you may like.

Tammi.  Lap band to sleeve revision Nov 27, 2012 

Heidi T.
on 11/25/12 12:30 pm
RNY on 01/31/12

Personally I had a really hard time with protein shakes right after surgery. I found the premixed or ready to drink ones alot easier to take. Personally I like the GNC total lean 25 choclate. Stats are good and the taste to me is really good, as a bonus they are lactose free incase your sensitive.

My advice keep tring things something will work. GNC and The Vitamin shoppe have money back guarentees, so if you dont like their product you are not out the money, just exchange it and try another one.

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 467 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics