Still struggling

Beth B.
on 11/28/12 1:40 am - Fayetteville, NC

I am 15 weeks post-op and down 60 lbs.  I have been in the hospital 5 times since the surgery.  I have been diagnosed with ulcers, fistulas, lost 7 pints of blood and suffered a cardiac arrest 6 weeks ago.  I am lucky to get in 20 grams of protein a day as I have no appetite at all.  Has anyone tried whey shots?  My surgeon's office told me to try them.  I am getting really run down lately.  I have no energy, no motivation....I was walking a lot before the arrest, but just feel so bad these days that all I do is sit on my couch and watch tv.  It doesn't help that I live alone and can not drive for 6 months per my doctor.   Any suggestions are greatly appreciate.  I am eating yogurt, cheese, peanut butter and taking my supplements. 

Thanks for any words of wisdom and encouragement.

Beth

jessann5
on 11/28/12 2:16 am - Kansas City, KS

Just sending you love, hugs, and best wishes :)

So sorry you are going through this.

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 11/28/12 2:20 am

What is your doctor doing for the ulcers/fistulas? Daily Carafat or other acid reducer? Take them as prescribed, and never miss a dose. It will heal up the ulcers and you'll feel better. If you've been in the hospital  5 times are they treating what you're going in for? Is that taken care of? Why can't you drink your protein at this point to get in the required daily amounts? Whether you have an appetite or not you still have to get your supplements in and your protein is very important. Especially if you've had a heart attack. The heart is a muscle and as you lose weight your heart will be at risk unless you get in enough protein. Hopefully the 60 pounds you've lost is excess fat and not muscle. If you don't get your protein in your body will use what it has to to get enough. Why doesn't your surgeon/Nut prescribe a nutritional supplement for you to drink to get in what you need daily? Protein drinks or shakes to meal replacements with high protein counts are the way to go. You won't get in enough protein or other nutrients if you're just eating yogurt, cheese and peanut butter. Why aren't you on solid foods at 4 months out? Lean meats, dairy, refried beans or other high protein foods should be part of your daily diet. Check with your doc if you're not on a supplement to get your body healed up and on the right road nutritionally. Eating better is why we have this surgery. You need to get in what your body needs or you'll have more medical problems. Get off the couch and start walking to strengthen your heart muscle. I'm sure you're working with a physical therapist on exercising after a heart attack? do what they say and increase excercise gradually to regain heart strength. See a therapist is you're overwhelmed. Many benefit from physical and mental help after surgery.

Jen 11 yrs post op RNY

Beth B.
on 11/28/12 4:11 am - Fayetteville, NC

My surgeon has taken care of the ulcers and fistula I experienced.  I did not have a heart attack and did not suffer any damage to my heart due to the cardiac arrest.  The arrest was caused by irregular electrical impulses.  I am eating steak and chicken and other things, but I am not consuming enough protein, because I fill up so quickly and stay full.  I did not suffer any damage to my heart from the arrest.  The cardiologist has done extensive testing and my heart is fine.  I now have an ICD a pacemaker and defibrillator combination implanted.  I am trying to eat more on a daily basis but not doing very well.  I just ate the remainder of a steak I cooked last night for a late lunch.  I never fully recovered from the surgery and complications before I had the arrest.  I am trying very hard, but just do have energy and tire easily.  I am in a physical therapy program 3 days a week, but they are focusing still on vertigo that I had when I awoke from my medically induced coma.  I hope to begin strength conditioning soon. 

Beth

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 299 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views