4 days out and hungry. real hunger not mental.

Melinda S.
on 2/8/13 5:12 am - TX
RNY on 02/05/13
I talked to Doctors office and they said try some protein. It's not clear though. She said its okay it I can talirate it. I have a powder strawberry protein that I loved prior to surgery. But I went and bought some RTD Pure Protein. Didn't want to waiste the powder since I'm sure I will only take a couple sips. But I am so scared to drink it. I dont want to get sick. Ive been doing so well. I scared to screw up now. Any advice. Only 1 gram of sugar in the Pure Protein
Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/8/13 5:35 am

The only way to know for certain is to try it. There are some folks here who did not transition with protein drinks--they went straight to food--and they have done quite well.

Why are you scared it will make you sick?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Adrianne_Dawn
on 2/8/13 5:37 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12

Wait - so you've had your surgery? I was drinking protein shakes like the 2nd day home.  I didn't like Pure protein it was WAY to sweet so not sure if the one you has is the same or not.  Anyways you should be trying to get in as much protein as possible.

This is the link to diet plans my doctor gives out. Check it out.

http://www.northwestobesitysurgery.com/diet.html

But yes - you should be trying your protein drinks!!

LadyLilMax
on 2/8/13 1:01 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

THANK YOU for putting the website for your diet up!  I went to it and have printed it out.  It is so much clearer and comprehensive than the one I have.  It is very clear and easy to understand and I love the equivalents that are listed and all the recommendations.  OUTstanding.  Thank you.  This was just what I was searching for.

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

xtine
on 2/8/13 5:43 am - San Jose, CA

I did not know you could feel real hunger that soon. They cut nerves that usually give you that hunger feeling. I did not feel any real hunger for the first 6 months. But I guess it could be possible..

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/8/13 5:45 am

I felt it at two weeks and I was upset since my surgeon's office said I wouldn't feel it for months. And I was on a proton pump inhibitor, so it wasn't that.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

exohexoh
on 2/8/13 9:15 am - West Chester, PA

almost 2 1/2 years and i still don't feel it in my stomach. i can't physically tell i'm hungry until i start getting headachy and lightheaded

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Melinda S.
on 2/8/13 5:44 am - TX
RNY on 02/05/13
I was concerned because I'm supposed to be on clear liquids for a week. I have had a couple of sips and fell fine. Oh "Betty" that's what I've named my pouch :) she likes me.
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 2/8/13 6:03 am

At 4 days out you won't feel physical hunger. That will be at least 4-6 weeks if the feeling ever returns. Many of us don't get hungry anymore- we eat by the clock even after the nerves that were cut during surgery have healed. That's why we have to measure everything at first - we won't know full, hungry or even over full and we can do damage. If you're on liquids - protein shakes, etc. drink them as often as your doc has said to. For most of us at 4 days out an ounce or two of liquids constitutes a meal so acouple sips of your protein drink will  be sufficient until your next meal. Water in between meals is necessary and will make you feel more  full. Try to get in as much water as you can. 64 ounces is the daily recommendation but you won't be able to do that right away. You're still healing, take it easy. Liquids won't hurt your new pouch - just don't overdo. Head hunger feels just like real hunger but it's not. In time you'll learn to recognize the difference. Using the first couple months to relearn new eating habits is really important.

Follow your doc or nurses' advice. Sip protein drinks for your meals and water inbetween.

Jen 11 yrs post op RNY

robyn_fresh
on 2/8/13 6:50 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I was hungry at that stage too. A lot of people will say you can't feel hunger that early, but I did and it was frustrating. Yes you should be getting in as much protein as possible and that means protein shakes. I stopped getting the hungry feeling when I moved past the liquid diet stage. You'll make it through it!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 773 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 390 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 328 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 280 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views
Recent Topics