Gas! Seriously, WTH???? You do NOT want to come in here!

Amy D.
on 12/6/12 10:02 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

So I'm like 9 months out now. I have a horrific gas problem. I am slowly killing my family with the noxiousness that is coming from my body. What is up with this? How can one person possibly have that much gas inside of them? At some point it has to all come out, right? I mean I am constantly passing gas. Con-stant-ly! It's not cool. Even the dogs and cats don't want to be around me. I'm awaiting divorce papers. It's getting very serious up in here. And stinky. Earlier I was lying in the tub reading and feeling the war that was going on inside of my body and I realized that I could see my tummy actually MOVING. I've only ever seen that before when I was pregnant! This is beyond ridiculous.

So, my fellow RNY-ers, any suggestions? What do you do to tame the gas monster. Or is it just me? Please don't tell me it's just me. I'll cry. I'm sure it has something to do with what I'm eating but I just can't seem to pin down the culprit. Or maybe I'm in denial and not willing to give up the culprit. Hmmm.

Thanks for listening to me rant. Be glad you're not here to hear it (ha!) in person!

Yours,

Farty McFartster aka Amy

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Laura in Texas
on 12/6/12 10:08 am

Personally, I don't have a gas problem unless I eat a ton of crappy carbs, but even then not much. What are you eating???

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Amy D.
on 12/6/12 11:05 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

No crappy carbs here but definitely some sugar alcohols which are probably the sneaky culprit!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/6/12 10:15 am - OH
The only thing that gives me gas is too many "white" carbs or, rarely, too much diet soda. I dont notice the odor being any worse than usual (pre-op, I mean).

When it happens, I use chewable cherry Gas-X tablets. Takes care of it with no problem.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy D.
on 12/6/12 11:04 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

I'll have to try the gas-x, thank you!

I don't do soda (I'm the one with the 10 a day habit pre-surgery) and I don't do a lot of white carbs unless protein bars are white carbs? Some foods seem to straddle the line.

MultiMom
on 12/6/12 10:28 am - NH
Hello my fellow farter I know what causes mine though.....sugar alcohols. For some it causes the bowels to go into overdrive but for me: TOOT TOOT TOOT

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Amy D.
on 12/6/12 10:58 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

Yeah, I have a feeling that the "culprit I don't want to give up" is sugar alcohols. I love my Quest bars and I'm sure the sugar alcohols combined with the fiber is part of the problem.

Thanks for the rootin' tootin' support!

Dave Chambers
on 12/6/12 10:32 am - Mira Loma, CA

It may or may not change in the future.  Broccoli is one veggie that tends to cause a lot of gas.  You may have an intestinal  bacterial issue, so you may want to check with your doc.  I had severe diarrhea from CIPRO for a bad cut on my hand.  In the meantime, I'd invest in some Ozium spray to help neutralize the odor. It's at auto parts stores, and comes in several sizes, as well as cans that fit in those auto sprayers that spray a mist every 15 minutes or so.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Amy D.
on 12/6/12 11:01 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

Thank you! I think sugar alcohols are a likely culprit for me altho broccoli is my go to non protein veggie. I will definitely bring it up at my doc appt next week and see what he has to say.

Chihuahuan
on 12/6/12 10:46 am - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12

I've noticed that since i have added Fiber One Original back into my diet, I have increased gas issues as well. Eggs also tend to do it.  At least the dogs aren't trying to roll in you like they think you are dead.  LOL    I think it is just the way some of us react to having foods pass into the small intestines earlier than before.   I haven't tried GasX or Beano like has been suggested but they should work.  I live alone with a 14+ year old Chihuahua (who is not phased by me anymore) so I don't have as much to deal with as you, but I did notice the other day when I was lifting Xmas Trees to the tops of cars and SUVS for my volunteer site fundraiser that I was having some toots. Luckily it was out on a busy street so it wasn't noticed.  It and loose stools seem to be somewhat common with RNY.  I noticed 6 months ago when I joined a poster had  worlds of wisdom at the bottom of his signature line "Never trust a fart."     I guess I will be happy with just the gas.  Good luck!  Let us know if the GasX or Beano work.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 536 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 271 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics