what exactly do insurance companies mean by "diabetes"? A ridiculous question,...

Atl_Gadget_Grrl but u
can call me Charlotte

on 12/7/12 3:05 am, edited 12/7/12 3:11 am
VSG on 06/12/13

I talked to my insurance coordinator today and I mentioned my concerns about having a BMI of less than 40 in order to qualify with UHC. I don't see anything about BMI greater than 35 + comorbidities in my contract. She asked if I was diabetic. My answer: "I have never been formally diagnosed as diabetic, but I have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and on Metformin for a long time."

I know my PCP's medical charts do not have diabetes listed specifically. I know I have had impaired fasting glucose studies and I know "elevated blood sugar" is one of the diagnoses from my PCP. The surgeon did list diabetic/pre-diabetic on my chart at our first appointment. She said this would be enough. She told me not to worry, but I am anyway.

The kicker is that my BMI would be greater than 40 if I had not done self-induced non-surgical weight loss with my PCP, and I have provided documentation of BMI's greeater than 40 as far back as 2006. Has anyone ever needed to GAIN weight to qualify for surgery? I do not relish that thought.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/7/12 3:36 am

What I would interpret that to mean is that you have been given a diagnosis of diabetes. It is quite possible there are other comorbidities they consider, such as high cholesterol, weight bearing joint disease, high blood pressure, heart disease,etc.

Before trying to gain weight, I would go to your insurance company's website and carefully read the criteria. Then I would call and ask if there is a policy about having a BMI over 35 with comorbidities. Then after that I would have a frank discussion with the insurance coordinator at your surgeon's office. While they aren't clairvoyant, they generally have a good sense of what will and will not be approved.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

artroxy blue
on 12/7/12 8:25 am, edited 12/7/12 8:26 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

It sounds like you've already been diagnosed as diabetic since your taking Metformin. If that's the case, then that's your co-morbidity for insurance purposes. I wouldn't gain weight, IMO, just to be approved for surgery. That's just making more work than you need to do. LOL

Good luck with your approval!

FWIW, I was told I was pre diabetic with an A1C of 5.8%. I was never prescribed any diabetic medication, though. I had a high enough BMI and other co-morbidities to consider. 

JanBooth
on 12/7/12 12:12 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Metformin is given for diagnoses other than diabetes, such as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  Taking it is not a diagnosis of diabetes.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Misty Morgan
on 12/7/12 2:27 pm - Goshen , OH
RNY on 04/24/13
^^^ This. I have been on merformin for the last eight years due to PCOS. Because of the PCOS I have also been told I was pre-diabetic. My surgeons office specifically told me that pre-diabetes would not qualify as a comorbidity. I have a much higher BMI so it wasn't a big deal. And I have worked for insurance companies for the last nine years and usually they require documentation of office visits, labs, etc. I honestly don't think they will just see that you're on merformin and assume your diabetic.

artroxy blue
on 12/7/12 7:53 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
Ahh...well, that's good to know! Thanks for clarifying.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 191 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 371 views
Recent Topics