Need vitamin advice

longhornrose
on 12/8/12 1:48 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

Per my surgeon, I'm taking a multivitamin (6 capsules a day), sublingual B12 (once a day), 29 mg. chewable iron with vitamin C, and Chewy Bites calcium citrate with D3 (six per day).  All are Bariatric Advantage.  My first labs were okay, although my doc said a little low in a couple of areas (iron, for one, that's why the 29 mg.).  I go back on Jan.3, and will have labs drawn again at that time to see if anything needs to be increased, added, or changed.

My question is, how to take the multi and the Chewy Bites.  I know to separate the iron and the calcium by several hours at least.  My routine has been two multis, my iron, and my sublingual in the A.M., along with my usual meds (levothyroxine, wellbutrin, lexapro, and metoprolol).  Then in the afternoon, I take 2 more multis (at the same time), plus another wellbutrin tablet.  Before bed, I take another two multis plus my wellbutrin and lamictal.  I start out in the morning (at least an hour after my iron) with one or two chewy bites, but then forget about the rest until the evening, and wind up taking the rest pretty close together. 

Should I be separating the multis by a period of time?  What about the calcium? 

Help would be appreciated, because I really want to do this right.  I intend to lose weight AND stay healthy!   

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

_Donna_
on 12/8/12 2:12 am

6 multis seem like a lot to me... what kind are you taking?  why are you taking so much?  I take 2 Centrum Silver multi (the walgreens generic version) and that covers most things, i take extra selenium and d3. no iron because i am post menopausal. and i take 4 Citrical (wlagreens version) 2 at a time, at least 4 hours apart.

take your C and iron together, at least 4 hours apart.

Your body can only absorb so much at one time, so I believe taking 2 multis at a time is a waste of money, since you arent benefiting from it.

I'm a little rusty giving advice here, its been a while since I last posted....Kelly will be able to help you in this category much better.

RNY 5-5-2011

longhornrose
on 12/8/12 2:43 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

All my vitamins are Bariatric Advantage, which are formulated specifically for bariatric patients, and each vitamin is what my surgeon instructed me to take.  According to the multivitamin container, "take six (6) capsules daily with a meal".  

For more information, here is a link to ASMBS' supplementation guidelines/recommendations:

http://asmbs.org/2012/06/asmbs-integrated-health-nutritional-guidelines-for-the-surgical-weight-loss-patient/

(Seems to not be showing up as a link, but you can copy/paste URL.)

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

poet_kelly
on 12/8/12 2:30 am - OH
On December 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM Pacific Time, longhornrose wrote:

Per my surgeon, I'm taking a multivitamin (6 capsules a day), sublingual B12 (once a day), 29 mg. chewable iron with vitamin C, and Chewy Bites calcium citrate with D3 (six per day).  All are Bariatric Advantage.  My first labs were okay, although my doc said a little low in a couple of areas (iron, for one, that's why the 29 mg.).  I go back on Jan.3, and will have labs drawn again at that time to see if anything needs to be increased, added, or changed.

My question is, how to take the multi and the Chewy Bites.  I know to separate the iron and the calcium by several hours at least.  My routine has been two multis, my iron, and my sublingual in the A.M., along with my usual meds (levothyroxine, wellbutrin, lexapro, and metoprolol).  Then in the afternoon, I take 2 more multis (at the same time), plus another wellbutrin tablet.  Before bed, I take another two multis plus my wellbutrin and lamictal.  I start out in the morning (at least an hour after my iron) with one or two chewy bites, but then forget about the rest until the evening, and wind up taking the rest pretty close together. 

Should I be separating the multis by a period of time?  What about the calcium? 

Help would be appreciated, because I really want to do this right.  I intend to lose weight AND stay healthy!   

Beth

The iron and calcium only need to be separated by two hours.  You can take the chewy bites with your multis if you want.  Just not with your iron.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kat Kat
on 12/8/12 2:42 am, edited 12/8/12 2:46 am - AZ

Okay, let's sort out what the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) says you need.

Two multivitamins a day that have 100% of the RDA of most nutrients in them.

1500-2000 mg calcium Citrate (NOT Carbonate) a day taken three or four doses of 500 mg each, because we cannot absorb more than that at a time.

54-63 mg iron for menstruating women, 36 mg iron for everyone else.

B12: 350-500 mcg if you use a sublingual that dissolves under your tongue, or the nasal spray once a week, or shots once a month.

Taking B complex is optional.

Remember to separate Calcium and Iron by 2 hours to ensure absorption.

You can make adjustments once you labs come back, but if your D is ever  low, take Dry D3 (NO Gelcaps) to get it back in range.

Based on this information I'd divide taking my pills to 4 times a day.

Morning: Any Morning prescriptions required, Muti to meet 100% RDA, Calcium, B-12, and D3 if ever needed.

Lunch: Any Lunchtime prescriptions required, Calcium

Dinner: Any Dinnertime prescription required, Mutil, Calcium

Bedtime: Any Bedtime prescription, Iron

I like Opurity chewable Calcium Citrate, so I keep a few in a plastic pill pouch in my pocket and briefcase which helps keep them conveniently available if I'm busy during lunchtime.

Kat

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 464 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 379 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?