stricture? doctor to evaluate?

Laura B.
on 12/7/12 2:58 pm - Lima, OH
I think I have a blockage or stricture I'm not really sure. When I eat much of anything I feel very full and my stomach mildly hurts, I usually stop or if I don't I feel nauseous for like an hour. It kind of feels like if a sink was clogged some water would drain but it fills up quickly and drains slowly. I drank 1/2 a protein shake and it felt like I was overly full I am 2 yrs post op Rny, I've drank hot liquids, took an enzyme to dissolve anything stuck but I can't drink or eat much. My main question is should I contact my surgeon to help with this problem? I come from a small town and like none of the physicians deal with bariatric patients and I don't want to get an upper Gi from some idiot dr. Who might perferate my stomach since its not like normal anatomy since I had rny... any advice would help I just started to have these symptoms of not being able to eat or drink much since fri. I ate some shrimp and pasta. If I get and upper and they dialate will I have to stay in the hospital one day? I don't want to be in twilight/half asleep-awake crap, put me out! Help! Thanks
Dave Chambers
on 12/7/12 10:39 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Normally a stricture involves the inability to eat or drink anything. Vomiting foods and liquids just eaten are typical.  I know one guy in one of my support groups "looked like hell" at a meeting. He spoke about not being able to eat anything and extreme difficulty drinking fluids. We ALL told him to call the surgeon about a stricture. Guess what? That exactly what he had. It took 3 dialiations to resolve this issue. He was about 6-7 mo. post op.  He also came to another support group a few mo. ago when he was a little over 2 yrs. post op. He spoke of blood in his stool, and gut aches.  Again, he was told by 99%  the post ops there to have his surgeon check for ulcers.  He did have an ulcer, but his treatment regimine wasn't known. Minor ulcer issues may be treated with Carafate, others need surgery to resolve.  If the issue doesn't improve over the weekend, I would make an appt. with a doc or surgeon you know is experienced with post ops.  You may have a twisted intestine or other issues. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

rutabaga
on 12/7/12 11:35 pm - St Clair Shores, MI

I had 3 dilations in November of this year. The first one my stoma was completely closed and my wonderful surgeon re-opened it with balloon dilation. I had another one week later and yet another 2 weeks later. Currently I had to have a feeding tube placed because of my inability to eat anything. It is only a temporary glitch. I am 10 weeks post-op and have lost over 100 pounds already. Not in a healthy way, but still a loss. 
I had an upper GI 2 weeks ago. It wasn't bad, except for the throwing up the barium part. 
Call your surgeon if you have any concerns about your eating. 
Do what you need to do to stay on a helthy course. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/8/12 12:53 am, edited 12/8/12 8:53 am - OH
Yes, even though you are 2 years out (strictures are uncommon so far out since the scar tissue formation during the healing process is what causes them, but they can still happen), I think you should call your surgeon IF the symptoms persist into next week.

I have not personally heard of people getting general anesthesia just for an EGD (there are a lot of potential complications from it and it is simply not worth the risk unless it is necessary), but the "twilight" sedation still makes you (or does me, anyway) completely unaware of what they are doing.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 440 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 382 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 105 views
Forum Search Error & 404