Thoughts on Exercise

Zeigled
on 12/15/12 11:17 am - Parkton, MD

Well just considering some thoughts.  I'm about 17 months out from surgery and still don't like exercising.  I didn't start exercising until I was about 4 months out.  My hips and knees hurt too much.  I really think you CAN succeed without exercising.  I have found, though, that it is EASIER to succeed if I do exercise.  I am on the treadmill 3 times a week for 60 minutes.  I put it right in front of the TV and - to borrow a phrase - JUST DO IT.  I have found, much to my dismay, that I lose more weight when I exercise and I have more energy to do other things.  I also find that I'm more flexible and stronger.  Well - take the good with the 'bad' I guess.

HW 357 SW 341   

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 12/15/12 12:30 pm

I think exercise is important for long term maintenance.  If your knees and hips hurt too much considered water aerobics.  I was surprised how much of a workout I can get. It has helped my knee tremendously.

Winnie

gbsinsatx
on 12/15/12 3:11 pm - San Antonio, TX

• I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Mal
on 12/15/12 10:39 pm

Walking was the only exercise I could do (couldn't afford a gym) and it was the easiest on my joints.  You will feel better as you do it--just go slow and increase a little bit each day (like by a minute).  You will increase your stamina, lose weight, and feel so much better afterwards.  Mall walking on inclement days worked too. (NO EXCUSES!!! LOL)

Mallisa

alaskasusan
on 12/16/12 5:56 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

My RNY is scheduled for 1/7 and I joined a weight loss gym class 6 weeks ago as part of my pre-op weight loss requirement.  It has been both a huge breakthrough (I am very private and have never been in a workout class, much (MUCH) less exercise in a room that has men in it(!) and a lot of fun.  And I met my class goal to lose 10 pounds so it's been very worthwhile.  Yes, I was the largest (and oldest) person in the room, and yes the instructor simply loves squats, which I cannot do yet due to a knee injury some years bac - nevertheless, it has been extremely beneficial in gaining some strength, flexibility and endurance before the surgery and I intend another class as soon as the surgeon clears me.  I used to run and can't wait to do that again - but I have to admit I am very pleasantly surprised to see that I am enjoying the exercise itself. 

The biggest surprise of all to me, though, is that I DID it....even though it meant staying up (as an early bird, I go to bed by 8 most nights); the class start time is 7:00 PM.  And I have to drive across town, after getting cozy at home after work.  And it's very dark and very cold this time of year (20 below zero a couple weeks ago, 10 below zero now)...all making it very hard to make myself get out and go exercise.  Somehow though, I have made it to every class which is very amazing to see me succeed like that.  I didn't think I had it in me to be honest!

LJ1972
on 12/16/12 6:24 am - FL

great job pushing through and doing it!! I found exercise pre-op really seemed to help in my recovery.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

LJ1972
on 12/16/12 6:25 am - FL

it is so hard to motivate and enjoy something that causes pain. Hopefully the more you do, the less pain you will have.  Regardless, it is awesome you are "just doing it"   :)

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/16/12 9:32 am - OH

Yes, I am proof that it CAN be done (not just losing, but also maintaining the loss) without a significant amount of exercise (I have bad knees, one of which needs replaced), but as you said, it is easier WITH exercise.

I would caution anyone who has pain when they exercise, though, NOT to just push through the pain without consulting an orthopedist first. I foolishly listened when people told me that the arthritis pain would get better as I exercised, but that I needed to push through it at first.  The result? Permanent additional damage to the worst of my two knees (and the need to get it replaced now rather than a few years from now).  If exercise causes more than mild pain, see a doctor before continuing!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 567 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 218 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 373 views
Recent Topics