Is this right? Please advise.

shrinkingit
on 12/17/12 2:42 pm
RNY on 11/13/12

I had RNY 11/13/12

I went in for my 1 month check up and the physician's assistant said my weight loss was a little slow, but I was doing fine. We talked a few minutes about what I have been eating.

I had eaten about 3 small bites of cream of wheat (which the last visit I was told would be ok) but this doctor said I shouldn't eat it. Then she told me to follow a regular diet but eat my proteins first.

I feel like I have messed things up already.  I am not sure if I am eating right or eating the correct amount of food when I do eat.

I eat mainly protein foods such as turkey, tuna, fish, I am still drinking protein shakes here and there even though she told me not to drink them anymore since I need to "eat" more solid foods.

I need all the advice I can get since the book they gave me only says to eat turkey, fish, tofu, etc   How much at one setting should I eat, how many times per day.  Any good recipe ideas ( I make my meals completely separate from my family)

I have only lost 25 pounds from the day of my surgery.  Shouldn't I have lost more by now?

apurdie
on 12/17/12 2:47 pm - CA

I think you are doing so well. Same loss for me at 5 weeks out.

shrinkingit
on 12/17/12 2:59 pm
RNY on 11/13/12

Thank You, that does make me feel a little better.  I am just so worried. 

Does anyone on here have that certain "so called" friend who you know is hoping you fail at this?

Cherokeesage
on 12/17/12 4:14 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

You sound like you are doing fine.    I wasn't able to eat much at your stage but tried to get at least an ounce or two of solid protein for 2 meals and then counted on greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and protein shake to boost protein.  Most of my RNY friends ate every two hours but I usually eat 3xs a day and will add more small meals on days I'm hungry.  The small meal is usually a greek yogurt.   I still have to count on adding extra protein with shakes or yogurt. 

Pay no attention to anyone that wants you to fail. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

DebsGiz
on 12/17/12 6:23 pm - FL

I also think you're doing fine.

I was, like you, labeled a "slow lose," so will encourage you to take a look at my pictures and trust that you, too, will get there. 

Remember the turtle who won the race??  Well, that's us!  LoL

poet_kelly
on 12/17/12 6:49 pm - OH

25 lbs in one month is fine.  Just fine.

You need to eat mostly protein right now.  Make sure you're getting at least 60 grams of protein a day and if you need a protein shake to get that much, then have the shake.  A few bites of cream of wheat or unsweetened applesauce or something like that is fine.  Just focus mostly on protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

onmom
on 12/17/12 6:52 pm

Weight loss this soon may not indicate how much or how fast you will lose. You are not out of surgery that long and are still healing and not likely feeling like exercising much. They often let you eat things  little carby at first as those things oatmeal cream of wheat are easy to digest. They do not hae the protein you need so they often do not want you to eat much of it when you are healed enough to eat protein foods.

onmom
on 12/17/12 7:02 pm

Just reread your post. As a mom I wanted to mention I felt it important to make my meals parts of the kids meals even if i left of some stuff or had less. It meant less actual work in the end and the kids felt it was less scary or different. Some one commented to them about mom eating strangely now after surgery and they told her right way no mom eats normal foods same as us. They seemed confused about the person thinking I could only eat weird after surgery. I felt they seemed very comfortable with how I eat. It does take more planning at first but the kids eat healthier as well now. When i make something like chicken strips or fries for them I try to make something that looks similar but healthy for me. I have found matching meals works. It has also made the kids want to try some changes i their dishes after tasting mine. 

walterswife
on 12/17/12 7:37 pm

You are doing just fine. Kind of makes me wonder if that person is familiar with the bariatric surgery process. I remember that Cream of Wheat was on my list early out.  I don't know how much more you could have lost in 4 weeks.  You have not messed things up. Keep up the good work and don't worry about what people say, especially when they appear to be clueless. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Mal
on 12/17/12 10:26 pm

You are right on track!  Trust me, you aren't going to fail if you eat a food that isn't on your list.  That's really the only way for anyone who has had RNY surgery to gauge what foods are going to work for them--trial and error!  Everyone is different.

I used protein shakes for the first year with food.  There's nothing wrong with it.  I had one (sometimes 2) a day, always for my first breakfast while I got everyone else out the door in the morning (I have 5 kids).  It was the only way I could get my protein requirement for the day.  If I didn't eat so great during the day or too little protien, I'd have one after dinner, before 8 pm. 

As far as the nay-sayers--IGNORE THEM!  As long as you do your best, and frankly even if you don't temporarily, you are not going to fail.  No one is perfect and frankly if they think they are--that's not someone I'd like to know and call a 'friend'.  I lost many long-time friends and family members due to their talking behind my back and jealousy issues.  You can only hear 'easy way out' from ignorant people for so long until you say, you know what---BYE!  You have to get there yourself, which may happen, but come up with creative ways for come-backs to make them realize that they really are idiots.  I used to always come up with things to say AFTER a confrontation which pissed me off damnit!!!! LOL 

You are doing great!  If you have questions about foods, write them down, make a list and call your Nutritionist.  There are NO dumb questions!!!  Congratulations on making it through the first month--it can be really tough sometimes.

Mallisa

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views