Having a hard time with Optifast

only_angel
on 12/23/12 12:52 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13
I'm having my surgery in 19 days and I'm really having trouble with the optifast diet. I feel like I'm starving all the time. I am doing my best not to cheat but I'm really having a hard time of it. Is it like this for everyone?
BluIzGal
on 12/23/12 1:06 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I found the first four days hard but then it got easier. If ts the overall flavour of Optifast, try adding sugar free syrups or extracts and blend it with lots of ice. My centre allowed broth which was a nice change to the sweetness of the shakes. You can do it!

Kenyatta W.
on 12/23/12 1:09 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13

I start my two week liquid diet tomorrow. I'm so nervous! I can't offer you any advice but just think of the award after getting through this hard phase. You will be on the loser side soon. Just keep your eye on the prize!!! :)

~Kenyatta"....Nothing never changes itself, Unless YOU make it...."

HW: 305 SW: 272 CW: 150  GW: 150

BMI Finally in Over Weight range..... ECSTATIC!!!!!

DebsDream
on 12/23/12 1:10 am

Agree....the first few days were the hardest but then got easier. I wasn't hungry it was more my mind hunger than anything else. I distracted myself by knitting...I knit more in the those few weeks than I did for the entire year...try to find something to do that will distract you. I was very lucky in that my husband took over the cooking and I didn't have to prepare dinners....that was beyond helpful but I know not everyone has that opportunity.

Good Luck, take it one day at a time and try not to think too much about it as you can drive yourself crazy.

Debbie

Orientation GGH: Mar '11 --- Surgeon: Oct 23, '12 --- Pre-Op: Nov 13, '12 --- SURGERY GGH,Dr. Reed:Nov 22, '12                 

madeformore
on 12/23/12 1:28 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

Keep busy! I remember dreading it, worrying that there was no way I'd be able to do the 2 weeks. It was actually one of the things I was dreading the most. But I did it...and so can you! I promise!

If you are having issues with the actual shakes and the above suggestions don't help, ask your doc's office if there are other protein shake options that they approve.

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

karenp8
on 12/23/12 2:47 am - Brighton, IL

This is the worst part of the whole process and I am pretty sure we all struggled with it. I know I did. Just find something to keep you busy and remind yourself how much better you will look and feel this time next year.

only_angel
on 12/23/12 3:22 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13
Thanks everyone :) I'm just going to have to keep busy. The shakes aren't a problem for me I acually like the vanilla ones. Its mainly feeling hungry all the time but I'll take your advice and keep busy. Thanks again :)
brandyle1975
on 12/23/12 3:52 am - Williamston, NC
RNY on 01/04/13

I started my Optifast Friday morning and I am struggling with not eating. Yesterday I cheated. I felt horrible after so I won't be doing it again. My problem is that now, I have nothing but food gatherings to go to for the next 3 or 4 day. Ugh! And it seems like every commercial on TV is a food one, every show has food on it, and every magazine I pick up is about food or weight loss! Talk about temptations!!!

I got the vanilla and chocolate Optifast and the chicken soup mix from it. I am thinking about trying the ck soup in a few min to see if something warm will help curb the cravings. 

Good Luck!

Brandy

Miamos
on 12/23/12 4:23 am - OH
Depending on what they allow I did more optifast bars then anything I did the shakes also. But I guess the bars made me feel like I was actually eating something. I also had to drink the shakes through a straw.
Amanda M.
on 12/23/12 1:46 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
I honestly considered canceling my surgery because of my pre op. My surgery was supposed to be a few days ago, but had to be postponed due to illness. And I know I will be okay.

But the hunger was SO bad for me. The first three days I felt sick and shaky and the hunger pains were so bad. But I learned some thngs that helped:

1. Dont try to time your shakes. I started having a shake every 2-3 hours. I was either starving between them or couldnt bring myself to have one at my next time. I started to just have one when I started feeling hungry. If I had two in a row or went a couple extra hours between, oh well. I started hitting my goal amount and it gave me practice at listening to my body.

2. I was also sipping my shakes, thinking this helped me not be hungry. I know post op sipping is key, but it doesnt work pre op. It was taking me on average 30-45 minutes to drink a shake. Once I started drinking them faster, in about 15 minutes, I realized I felt less hungry.

3. I am lactose intolerant so I tried using water. That did nothing for me. I found that almond milk was really yummy and satisfying.

4. If you "cheat", try to stop yourself after a couple bites, then go make a shake. I cheated a couple times. But once I stopped beating myself up over it, it was easier to comply with the plan.

Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 225 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 374 views