2 Weeks PO - Please Help Me Plan

RebeccaElise
on 12/23/12 10:49 pm, edited 12/23/12 10:49 pm - Quincy, MA

I am 2 weeks PO and on soft solids (protein only) and this evening I'll be attending my first social occasion since surgery. It's a holiday party at a friend's house about an hour from where I live. They are close friends and are very supportive of me and the surgery (and know other people who have gone through it). I guess I just need a plan for how to navigate.

I intend to eat breakfast and lunch as usual, but the party falls right at the dinner hour and we will be traveling to get there for the hour prior. Do you think I should just bring something I can eat? Eat in the car on the way there? I don't think they'd be insulted if I brought something, but is this a case where I should bring a large enough amount to share, or just enough for me, since I'm the weird one who can only eat certain things? They won't need food at the party...they always have too much, which is why I'm not sure bringing a dish to share is a good option. I also have no idea what I'd bring, since I've only been eating a few things besides protein shakes (scrambled eggs, yogurt, lentil soup, LF cheese, and turkey from the deli).

Does anyone have any advice on this?

TIA,

RE

Joyceebaby
on 12/23/12 10:55 pm
RNY on 11/29/12

I would eat something on the way and then see what protein options are at the party.  Most parties have some kind of cheese tray and that could be an option for you.  I'd also have a back up snack in my purse for later, in case there isn't a good option.  Since they know of your surgery and are supportive, I'm sure they won't mind.   Have fun!! 

Lindah55
on 12/23/12 11:04 pm - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

I second what Joyce said. Eat something on the way and have a snack in your purse just in case you need it later. I am

counting on having cheese at my get together tonight and do the same. Stuff some in my purse. I like the baby bell cheese

mozzarella.

Mal
on 12/23/12 11:14 pm

I'd eat before (or on the way if its a long ride) and bring something (say a yogurt and string cheese).  That way you will insure that you get your required amounts of protein and anything you could have at the part (like cheese) would just be gravy.  A bottle of water/crystal light would be a good idea too.  If she has limes/lemons for drinks, pop one into your glass and no one would think anything different.

Good luck!  Have fun and concentrate on enjoying the party and everyone's company instead of the food.

Mallisa

poet_kelly
on 12/23/12 11:24 pm - OH

If it was me, I would take something I could eat, something really yummy, so I didn't feel left out while everyone else was eating holiday goodies.  One of my favorites is Greek yogurt with sugar free cheesecake pudding mix.  Tastes like cheesecake.

I've never had anyone be insulted that I brought my own food.  I mean, my friends want me to have something to eat and they don't want me to eat something that isn't good for me.

Occasionally I bring a dish to share, but not always.  Depends on the occasion.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

groovykg
on 12/24/12 12:56 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

Sounds delightful! How do you make that? Just pour a box of Jell-O cheesecake pudding into an 8 oz container of yogurt? Or do you make the pudding first and mix the 2 together?

poet_kelly
on 12/24/12 1:24 am - OH
On December 24, 2012 at 8:56 AM Pacific Time, groovykg wrote:

Sounds delightful! How do you make that? Just pour a box of Jell-O cheesecake pudding into an 8 oz container of yogurt? Or do you make the pudding first and mix the 2 together?

I put a whole packaged of pudding mix (dry) in about 32 oz of Greek yogurt.  I also add a little Splenda.

I had some yesterday topped with no sugar added cherry pie filling.  If I'd had some graham crackers, I would have crumbled up one or two on top of it.

I also make pumpkin spice cheesecake by mixing the pudding mix, yogurt, splenda and about a cup of pureed pumpkin together.  Then I top it with a spoonful of light Cool Whip and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 12/23/12 11:25 pm, edited 12/24/12 7:25 am
As early out as you are I think it's wise to be prepared. Bring something to eat on the way there. You could ask the host and hostess since you know them well if they'd like you to bring a meat and cheese tray.

Many get-togethers also have raw veggies if you are allowed those right now (I was at 2 weeks out) you could eat a couple of pieces of those.

I will say be careful it's difficult early out to know how you will react to different foods. Enjoy the company!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

apurdie
on 12/24/12 2:45 pm - CA

Sometimes I have given myself permission to miss parties during this time. Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 414 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 7 replies · 41 views
Recent Topics