CAffeine

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 12/25/12 1:13 am
RNY on 09/17/12

Why is it that caffeine makes our stomach hurt now?  EVERYtime I drink caffeinated coffee, I have to run to the bathroom about 20min later.  It just goes right through me.

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

poet_kelly
on 12/25/12 1:23 am - OH

It doesn't bother my stomach.  I don't know why it makes yours hurt.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PamelaNJ
on 12/25/12 1:28 am

I think caffeinated coffee affects a lot of people like that, whether they had WLS or not.  After all, lots of people say to drinking a cup of coffee in the morning keeps them regular!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on becoming a healthier me!

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 12/25/12 2:47 am
RNY on 09/17/12

I don't know. It's weird.  It didn't bother me before surgery

Shannon

Neaucora
on 12/25/12 5:21 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I used to LOVE coffee. Now I only drink it when I can't poo. It works great in that department, but it also upsets my stomach. Makes it hurt and nauseousness. sad. But I can still drink my tea, so now I drink tea in place of the coffee. I thought maybe it was the caffeine in the coffee upsetting my pouch. But the caffeine in the tea does not do that.

SarahLee1969
on 12/25/12 5:55 am - NY
One reason MAY be because it is a stimulant... it is, as other posters indicated, know to stimulate gastric motility. It is also know to stimulate gastric secretions, and frequently can be a bit acidic. All of which may be too much for your new pouch. I have been fortunate to tolerate decafe with no problems, so I just stuck with that post op.
emt_amy
on 12/25/12 8:29 am - MN
caffeine doesnt do that to me, im currently drinking a diet dr pepper as im typing. lol i do get cramps tho when i need to bm. and they are nasty cramps. i have undiagnosed irritable bowel. have you tried other caffeinated items to see if its caffeine?

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 12/25/12 9:02 am
RNY on 09/17/12

I've had caffeinated tea when we go out and it's fine.  I've been thinking about it, and maybe it's the fat free half and half instead.  I'm going to try it out in the morning with no half and half.

Shannon

emt_amy
on 12/25/12 9:32 am - MN
that could be! im lactose intolerant. the international delight creamers work ok for me. the walmart lactose free milk also tastes really good. not so sweet.

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 12/25/12 9:52 am
RNY on 09/17/12

I do pretty good with skim milk and I don't like soy so far.  I haven't tried the vanilla soy....ppl say it's pretty good.  The International Delight creamers....are they the sugar free refrigerated ones?  I've tried the sugar free other brand and come to think about it, I think my stomach hurts on those too!  But cheese is ok....so weird lol.

Shannon

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 330 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
Recent Topics