X-Post: 6-month Lab Results Help

Turtle Lynn
on 12/26/12 11:13 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Okay, so these are my 6-month lab results, most of them are in the normal range but a few are either high or low, and I have no idea what that means.  I am waiting on a call from my surgeon's office, but I thought I'd post them here as I know some of the vets are very well versed in what this stuff may mean.

I would appreciate any information, and thank you, in advance!

Hemoglobin 11.8

Hematocrit  36.1

Calcium, serum 9.7

Protein, total, serum 6.9

Albumin, serum 4.1

Iron, serum 44    

Iron saturation 14 (low)

Vitamin B12  689

Folate, serum  14.5

Vitamin D, 25- Hydroxy  34.4  (up from 25 in August)

PTH, Intact  12 (low)

Prealbumin  24

Vitamin A, serum 48 

BUN/creatinine ratio  25  (high)

AST  18

ALT  31

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

poet_kelly
on 12/26/12 6:59 pm - OH
On December 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM Pacific Time, Turtle Lynn wrote:

Okay, so these are my 6-month lab results, most of them are in the normal range but a few are either high or low, and I have no idea what that means.  I am waiting on a call from my surgeon's office, but I thought I'd post them here as I know some of the vets are very well versed in what this stuff may mean.

I would appreciate any information, and thank you, in advance!

Hemoglobin 11.8

Hematocrit  36.1

Calcium, serum 9.7

Protein, total, serum 6.9

Albumin, serum 4.1

Iron, serum 44    

Iron saturation 14 (low)

Vitamin B12  689

Folate, serum  14.5

Vitamin D, 25- Hydroxy  34.4  (up from 25 in August)

PTH, Intact  12 (low)

Prealbumin  24

Vitamin A, serum 48 

BUN/creatinine ratio  25  (high)

AST  18

ALT  31

Your iron is on the low side so I'd increase that.

Your vitamin D is still really low - according to the Linus Pauling Institute, that should be at least 80.

I don't know what it means that your PTH is low and it surprises me that it is low, given that your vitamin D is so low and your calcium is on the high side.  Often, when you see that, the PTH is high because people have started leaching calcium out of their bones.  I would definitely discuss the PTH with your doctor.

Are these all the labs you had done?  No ferritin, thiamine, magnesium, potatssium, zinc, copper, vitamin K?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Turtle Lynn
on 12/26/12 10:01 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thanks, Kelly!

I've been taking 2 iron pills a day, but I guess I need more. 

He mentioned the 50,000 i.u. for Vitamin D at my visit, he was just waiting for the labs to come in.  He should have had them but the lab screwed up, that's another story, lol.  I imagine he will start me on the 50,000 to get my Vitamin D level up. 

Yeah, the PTH threw me too, I was expecting it to be high, honestly.  I googled it but couldn't find anything so I was hoping you or someone else might know what was going on with that.  I will definitely talk to him about it and see what he says.  

Yes, that's all that they ordered, no ferritin, thiamine, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper or Vitamin K are listed anywhere on my lab report.  

poet_kelly
on 12/26/12 10:44 pm - OH

Make sure you get dry D3, not the prescription D2 in oil.  We don't absorb that well at all.

You might also want to ask about having the other vitamins and mineral levels checked.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Turtle Lynn
on 12/26/12 11:57 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Okay, thank you, I will do that!  I have contacted his office and am just waiting to hear back from them. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 773 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 388 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 505 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?