EXERCISING

shrinkingit
on 12/27/12 6:18 am
RNY on 11/13/12
I had my gastric bypass on November 13, 2012. I have only been doing a little walking and I know that I need to start exercising. My question is what is the best exercise to do when I am just starting out? I am way out of shape! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cathy H

aka Shrinkingit- slowly but surelyheart

RonSudol
on 12/27/12 6:47 am - NJ

throw your sneakers on, take a walk around the block.. thats all it takes.. get the blood flowing, get your lungs fresh.. then slowly you can find yourself ready for the gym.. do it!

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

Dee.spunk
on 12/27/12 6:52 am - Sacramento, CA
That's what I mostly do. I walk. A lot. Somedays I run, but mostly I walk. I do Zumba every once in a while. I love dancing! That's what weekends are for! We go out and dance every weekend!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

LJ1972
on 12/27/12 7:01 am - FL

#1 priority... find what you love. If you don't like it, you won't do it.

Walk, dance, weights when cleared... running, swimming, cycle

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

acochran
on 12/27/12 7:03 am - GA

Curves is a great all around workout !

Zachariah
on 12/28/12 2:27 am

I use Curves too because I have arthritis in my left knee and walking is really not an option.  Two circuits three times a week help me a lot.

Zachariah-Still crazy after all these years!

NowIliveforaerobicsandnotfood
on 12/27/12 9:43 am

If its too cold to walk outside try Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds.  Every mile equals about 15 minutes.  She has videos up to 5 miles. 

moet321
on 12/28/12 5:52 am

I love love love her walking dvd's and it really is great for indoor's

Small changes today will impact the results I receive tomorrow...Taking this journey one day at a time ;) Moët 

Surgery Date 9/12/2012         
Mal
on 12/27/12 11:16 am

I walked to lose the majority of my weight.  I liked to go outside vs. the treadmill.  I get way too bored being inside and enjoy the fresh air.  Even when its cold/inclement I walked--I just didn't do it very much if it was snowing or icy out (I live in Massachusetts).  During those times, I would go to a local mall.  Many malls have 'walking hours' an hour prior to the mall's regular hours that they'd let people in to do laps.  It was a lot of fun and I met some interesting people there too.

I would suggest starting slow.  Progress a little each day (like add a minute more when you don't think you can walk anymore).  Five minutes will eventually turn into an hour and half.  I got up to 3 1/2 miles a day in my neighborhood and it took me and hour and a half.  I liked to listen to my MP3 player and got one pretty inexpensively (like for $20) at Walmart.  I downloaded my favorite dance songs and it kept me motivated when I didn't think I could go on.

When you get to a point where you want to try another form of exercise, you will have the energy and stamina to do so.  Also, as you lose weight, your stamina and energy will increase and you will feel better.

M'Lane

moet321
on 12/28/12 5:59 am

I really love walking too.. I use my 20 min break at work everyday. I do Zumba but was told to start weight training at this point in my weight lost.. so I have been working arm and inner/out legs. I really LOVE walking though

Small changes today will impact the results I receive tomorrow...Taking this journey one day at a time ;) Moët 

Surgery Date 9/12/2012         
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 90 views