Large Anastomosis

Harry Potter
on 12/30/12 10:35 pm - Hollywood, FL
Without this being fixed is this why I am continually gaining weight even eating portioned and well, what can be done?

Revision RNY 05/14/2014

Current Weight: 197

MultiMom
on 12/30/12 10:39 pm - NH

I Googled anastomosis and still couldn't understand what you are dealing with. Maybe you could explain?

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Harry Potter
on 12/30/12 10:46 pm - Hollywood, FL
After a Upper GI I was told my STOMA was very stretched out and he doesn't fix it. I do'nt know much about the issue as well, but I know it may warrant a revision.

Revision RNY 05/14/2014

Current Weight: 197

Ladytazz
on 12/30/12 11:08 pm

It could explain being able to eat more and being hungry but it wouldn't explain weight gain with compliance.  You may have a metabolic issue.  If you are considering revisions I would look into a revision to a DS.  It is a complicated revision and it isn't done by a lot of surgeons.  You can check out the revision board and also dsfacts.com.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 12/30/12 11:09 pm - OH

No, it wouldn't make you gain weight if you're eating small meals and things low in calories.  The reason it sometimes leads to weight gain is because it causes food to leave the pouch quickly so you get hungry again fast and then overeat.  If you aren't eating too much, a large stoma would not cause weight gain.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/31/12 12:21 am, edited 12/31/12 12:21 am - OH

What Kelly said.  The only thing an enlarged stoma changes is how fast the food leaves your pouch. If you are still watching your portion sizes and making healthy food choices, it would not lead to weight gain.  Also, are you drinking when you eat?  That can also lead to eating too much. 

How far out are you?  If you are at the point where you have lost most of the caloric malabsorption, you may have to adjust your food intake to accommodate for this. (Edited: I see that you are 4 years out... so you should already have lost your caloric malabsorption... but how long has the weight gain been going on?  If it has been going on slowly for 2 years, this might still be a contributing factor.)

There are a couple of procedures that can reduce the stoma, but they all have a very low success rate so most insurance won't cover them.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 545 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 529 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 417 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 131 views
Recent Topics