Fish and Seafood

RebeccaElise
on 1/5/13 7:35 am - Quincy, MA

I have a personal policy about eating food from cans (I hate the taste and therefore, don't), so tuna fish is out AFAIC. But, I'm really in the mood for fish and seafood. I was thinking that maybe some mussels and cod filet steamed in a little flavored broth might be tasty and high protein/low fat and carb.The mussels would be nice and soft, which was why I was thinking it might be a good option, but I was going to make a little cod just in case the texture of the mussels proved to be an issue. 

I guess I'm wondering, has anyone eaten seafood at almost 1 month PO? How did it go? Am I setting myself up for agony, here?

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

manda2108
on 1/5/13 7:45 am

It would depend on your surgeons plan...my plan allowed for soft foods after 4 weeks..and white fish was on that list. I think I had  it grilled or broiled the first few times. 

BellaSaid35
on 1/5/13 8:29 am

I would stick with the cod. Mussels might be a little too much for your pouch to digest just yet. :)

Rny 2.14.12

lizpete
on 1/5/13 8:48 am - Marlboro, MA

My first meal "out" was fish. I had to attended a conference in Rhode Island.  I was 5 wks out.  I checked with the surgeons office and it was fine with them as long as it was not "FRIED"  I had baked haddock the firstnight and mussels the second night.  I had no issues.  B****hese meals are still on my favorite go to meals. 

jorlsu
on 1/5/13 9:00 am - TX
RNY on 12/17/12 with
I'm all about the fish. I've got tilapia in the oven right now. Sauce mixed with light mayo, garlic powder, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Cover the fish with the sauce, bake at 425 for 10-12.
RebeccaElise
on 1/5/13 4:04 pm - Quincy, MA

That sauce sounds really good! I wonder how it would be on flounder or cod? (I've always thought Tilapia has an odd texture.)

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

RebeccaElise
on 1/5/13 9:00 am - Quincy, MA

My surgeon's instructions said only soft solids, lean proteins, nothing fried. Fish is on the list, as long as it's not fried or drenched in fatty sauces. I think I'll give it a try and just go slow. :)

Thanks for all the input everyone! :)

Cindyagogo
on 1/5/13 9:19 am
RNY on 02/21/12

I could handle fish at 6 weeks. Shellfish......shrimp, lobster and all the rest are still a no go at this late date. I think they are too rubbery and my pouch no like. Scallops, thank goodness, i can handle.

RebeccaElise
on 1/5/13 10:40 am - Quincy, MA

For the shell fish, try cooking it for a shorter time. Shell fish should not be rubbery - it should be tender. I cook mussels for only 3 or so minutes. Just until they pop open. They are very tender that way.

MinnieMouse1
on 1/5/13 10:05 am
RNY on 12/06/12

4 weeks post op and I love shrimp!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?