yogurt

brt11565
on 1/8/13 2:02 am - KY
RNY on 12/11/12

is yogurt considered as a liquid, of course without the fruits.

Joyceebaby
on 1/8/13 2:08 am
RNY on 11/29/12

A liquid is anything that can pour through a sieve (or pasta strainer).  I don't think yogurt counts. Sorry 

wendydettmer
on 1/8/13 2:11 am - Rochester, NY

not on my plan.  it was considered a soft/puree food.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Careecans9801
on 1/8/13 2:19 am - cohocton, NY

I think it depends on what plan you are on. My dietician and surgeon say "yes" but recommend if I am going to eat yogurt I eat greek because of the protein amounts.

Surgery Date 1/14/13

AmberF
on 1/8/13 3:11 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
Yogurt is a full liquid on my surgeons diet
Dave Chambers
on 1/8/13 3:21 am - Mira Loma, CA

Yogurt is more of a slider food. Greek yogurt offers more protein per serving.  I read about making greek yogurt at home in a crockpot, and that's what I've done for several months now. My wife had a RNY revision in 2008, fell in the middle of the night walking to the bathroom, and broke a bridge and a couple of teeth. So she has trouble eating many foods.  She refuses to let me spend $$ on getting her false teeth or implants. So I make this yogurt 3 times a week.   5 qts of low fat milk, 1 1/4 cup of powdered milk in crockpot--let cook on low until it gets to 180 (to kill off bad bacteria), unplug crock and let cool to just under 120 degrees. If you add yogurt starter to milk over 120, you kill off "the good stuff" from the starter.  Add starter. Mix lightly with wisk. Cover with blanket for about 5-6 hours. Chill overnight. I use 1 C of the Fage 0% greek yogurt for my starter for this amount.  I use paper towels for "filters", placing them in colanders, and baking trays with a lot of holes in them--these were for baking french fries from years ago.  Use a ladle to put yogurt on top of the towels, and place in fridge. Don't forget to place a bowl or another pan to collect drainage.  I usually wait about 3-4 hours, remove and replace the very wet towels, and empty the drainage container.  Put partially drained yogurt on new paper towels, and let drain another 4 hours or so.  Use a plastic scraper, and lift corners of drained yogurt, and hold towel over mixing bowl.  Put bowl on mixer, turn on low, and then I add 2 boxes SF cheesecake pudding and one box SF white chocolate pudding. Mix for about 30 seconds. Stop mixer, and use scraper to make sure no pudding is stuck to side of mixing bowl. Mix for another 30 seconds or so on a higher speed.  This 5 qt batch ends up making about 3 full qts of homemade greek yogurt. Thick, tasting like chocolate cheesecake.  Unflavored whey isolate protein can be added for more protein too. Or you can add several drops of a Torani SF syrup to vary the flavor.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

hannan
on 1/8/13 5:13 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12

My plan said yogurt is a liquid. I could "eat" pudding  and yogurt about 5 days after surgery it didn't bother me mostly I didn't want to eat it because I was in pain but if I wanted to I could eat it. I suggest Greek yogurt you get used to the funny taste. 

apurdie
on 1/8/13 1:03 pm - CA

You can try Keifer instead

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/13 2:42 pm - OH

Not according to my surgeon, but some say it is since, if you sucked REALLY hard, you COULD ingest it through a straw (which is a common guideline for full liquids). It is definitely a "slider" food, though, that stays in your pouch just a brief time before sliding out into the intestine.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 536 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 271 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics