Regretting getting bypass

Kristenselfs
on 1/7/13 7:56 am - PA
Does anyone regret getting their Gbybass.
nfarris79
on 1/7/13 8:01 am - Germantown, MD

Short answer: no. Long answer (with a question): No, why? Do you? For any reason that's changeable?  Or  you regret it because you haven't "lost enough" or because it's disrupted your life in ways you didn't expect? 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/7/13 8:02 am - OH

A couple of people do, of course, and some people who are in their first or second month have TEMPORARY regrets as they adjust to things and might have some trouble eating or drinking, but you will find that the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of people (people here stay in here, at least) have no regrets.  People who have not stayed in touch here or in a support group and have stopped following the rules and have gained a lot of weight back might say they regret it, I suppose.

I dont regret my RNY at all, but if I were going to it over again I would do the sleeve instead.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/13 12:00 pm

****rogirl

Wondering why you would choose a sleeve instead of RNY

I'm having trouble deciding between which one I would like to get...... I'm approved for either surgery and it is my choice as to which one to have

Thks so much

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/7/13 1:31 pm - OH

Although the weight loss is a bit slower with the sleeve, I have not seen any evidence that people with sleeves lose less in the end.  

With a sleeve, though:

1) you can continue to take NSAIDS (Motrin, Aleve, generic ibuprofen, aspirin) for pain and inflammation (with RNY, you can only take steroids for inflammation and can only take Tylenol and prescription meds for pain).  You might not take anything for pain/inflammation now, but what happens if you develop arthritis or something down the road?

2) you do not have to worry about taking handfuls of vitamins every day, getting routine lab work, and worrying about vitamin deficiencies for the rest of your life

3) you keep the pyloric valve so there is no risk of dumping (although only 30% of RNYers dump, anyway, so chances are even if you have a RNY you won't react to sugar

4) it is a simpler surgery since there is no intestinal bypass and so there are fewer potential surgical complications

Besides, once the body adapts to the intestinal bypass and overcomes most of the caloric malabsorption, you end up with a primarily restrictive procedure (just like the sleeve) after 2 years, anyway (but still have the vitamin issues to deal with). 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

carebearsuzzan
on 1/7/13 8:02 am - CA

only the first 2 months but now nope!!! i love my RNY:)

laugh      

Best Thing in the world I ever Did:) thank you Dr.Peter Crookes and Stacee Cutter for being my back bone to this:)))))

Kat Kat
on 1/7/13 8:03 am - AZ
No, I have never regretted this for one single second, and would gladly do it again knowing what I do now!

Kat
anewbeginning2012
on 1/7/13 8:12 am, edited 1/7/13 8:13 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I am 3 months out and the answer is an easy one: ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS!! I already feel like a new woman- I love my RNY! Have you had yours done yet? are you feeling regret? If so, maybe we could help you in some way feel more comfortable...let us know your experience or concerns about having surgery- there are tons of people that would be glad to answer any question.

Kris        
Diabolique
on 1/7/13 8:15 am - Las Vegas, NV
RNY on 09/19/12

I regret mine because I had complications and extra surgeries.  The weight loss is great, but not for the amount of pain that I went through and am still in.

If things had gone without complications I would probably not regret it.

LaToya N.
on 1/7/13 8:17 am - MD
RNY on 11/19/12

In the wise words of Whitney Houston, "Hell to the NO!" Love my baby RNY!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 262 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics