Stool Softeners- TMI

tygercub82
on 1/8/13 3:02 am - TX
RNY on 01/13/12 with

Does anyone use them and if so what would you recommend? I have been having trouble lately going to the bathroom and when I do its hard and can hurt. Also with being pregnant I know it can cause issues there too. I was thinking about taking one but I don't know what to take.... any ideas?

Dave Chambers
on 1/8/13 3:08 am - Mira Loma, CA

A lot of us take them.  Even as a new post op, I had major issues with constipation. I get the stool softeners from puritan pride vitamins (puritan.com I think). I take 4 of these daily, but you may need less. They have buy 2 get 3 free or buy 1 get 1 free sales during the year.  Dulocax makes on you can find locally, and for the most immediate releif I'd try the Dulcolax suppositories--you'll get relief in less than an hour with the later. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Debbie A.
on 1/8/13 3:18 am - Aurora, OH

Hi,

I also had terrible constipation problems in the past, but I have kept under control by taking two Colace in the morning along with a capful of Miralax in my morning protein shake and then two more Colace before bed.  Good luck!!

Debbie

madeformore
on 1/8/13 3:46 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

I just buy the generic stool softeners, available at any pharmacy section of most stores. I take them as needed - you can take 1-3 of them daily, depending on your severity. When it gets to the point that I decide I need to take them, I take 3 for a couple days and then am fine again. Luckily, haven't needed them in awhile but needed them more early post-op.

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

nbw
on 1/8/13 7:31 am

I add Muselex to my shake each morning and it really helps. I did the softners but this is better.

Nancy
BezoarGirl
on 1/8/13 10:05 am - WA

I take 2 every night of the generic brand.  I also did the same think when I was pregnant.  If things get really bad I take some MoM also.

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/13 10:06 am

I started with Ducolox but now I just use a generic brand and it works just as good.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 1/8/13 10:15 am
RNY on 01/10/12

I would check with your OB to see what's safe when you're pregnant.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

ChristinaS9476
on 1/9/13 5:17 am - Alvaton, KY
RNY on 11/15/12

I don't know if this is something you would want to do being pregnant, but this just worked wonders for me today.  I made half a pot of coffee and put about three shakes of salt in with the grounds.  I was doing it to cut down on the bitterness of the coffee, but it resulted in two of the biggest bowel movements I have had post-op, like within twenty minutes after drinking it.  I didn't eat or drink anything else that would have caused that.  I had some stomach cramping with it though.  I'm not 100% sure that's what it was, but it's worth a shot if you're still drinking coffee.  Also, I have heard epsom salts diluted in water helps the bowels move.

Other than that, I have heard dulcolax has a good stool softener that is recommended for pregnant women.

Follow my weight loss journey! 
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristinaS9476?feature=guide    

Paul C.
on 1/9/13 5:28 am - Cumming, GA
Don't use them. My diet consists of enough fruits veggies and fiber to keep the party moving. I only have issues when I go HIGH protein and very low carbs and then running or swimming a couple miles will sort it out.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views